586,104 active members*
3,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant question

Thanks in advance for any guidance on my question! I have a minimill 2 in my garage and finally made the move to work on my product line full time! The problem that i have is the coolant that I'm using is 100% biodegradable and I was recommended to use this coolant by a Haas tech. I was using Valcool but the small size of my garage and the mist from the
    Valcool was not a good combination. I had sinus issues but after I switched to the new coolant my sinus problems went away but the machine table, vises started to have flash rusting. I have refractometer and know how to use it, everything is inline but I still have this problem. Is there a coolant that is non toxic, can be used in a tight environment and poses little to no risk to your health and does not cause rusting?

Re: Coolant question

Before doing anything else just increase your coolant concentration. If you are using 5% go to 10%; if you are already at 10% try 15%. The coolant itself is probably not causing the rusting but if the concentration is too low when the water evaporates away from coolant on the surface of the metal the coolant film left behind it too thing to prevent rusting.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geoff, I'm going to try your suggestion.

Get a mist collector installed on your machine. I installed one on mine, also in the garage, before i made a single part. It keeps the mist problem from existing. I use Qualichem xtreme cut 250c, fantastic coolant for mixed materials, good smell, stays forever and leaves machine clean.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Evolve44

I guess you are using GreenCut, I used it for 2 years, while it did a good job, as a coolant/cutting fluid, it will destroy your machine, no matter what you do, you will not stop the rusting,even if you add lots of there antirust, it is not going to help

I changed to UltraCut 380R, there is almost No Smell, & no Rusting at all, has an Excellent life, it does not contain any nasty stuff that most coolant's have, this is very good for use in like your Garage
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Before doing anything else just increase your coolant concentration. If you are using 5% go to 10%; if you are already at 10% try 15%. The coolant itself is probably not causing the rusting but if the concentration is too low when the water evaporates away from coolant on the surface of the metal the coolant film left behind it too thing to prevent rusting.
    Using RO water helps tremendously also.

Many people who run synthetic coolants have the same problems you are experiencing as well. I am by no means a coolant expert, but generally when a machine has rusting issues it means that the coolant and water molecules are not bonding properly. I have seen refractometers show extremely high coolant concentrations but the machine still rusts.

Find a good coolant distributor and talk to them about your issues and needs, they can be a great asset. Post your general location if you need help finding a good coolant rep.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Using RO water helps tremendously also.

Many people who run synthetic coolants have the same problems you are experiencing as well. I am by no means a coolant expert, but generally when a machine has rusting issues it means that the coolant and water molecules are not bonding properly. I have seen refractometers show extremely high coolant concentrations but the machine still rusts.
    RO water does not make a difference,that I have ever seen, with full synthetic coolants, the water bonding with the coolant polymers is very poor,no matter what you use, I have found that the semi-synthetic, works best, a coolant Rep, from a different company,said that Castrol has a full synthetic, that works very well,for rust protection,he said it was the only one he has seen, that there was not a rusting problem, ( he did not work for Castrol) most of the full synthetic coolants are made up of Glycol & polymers, when this dries out all you are left with is the polymers, which leaves the machine with no rust protection, that is what Evolve44 is seeing
    Mactec54

Regardless of the coolant, you should do what you can to keep it out of the air in a small space.

I put a MistAway on my machine, it turns on with the cycle start command and keeps the room and the air very nice.

I am actually looking at the Mist Away system, and based on all the recommendations I am going to change my coolant as well. Thanks for all the responses!

I just thought of something, I also cut wood in my machine and go thought a detailed process of cleaning it afterwards before I continue cutting metal. With the mist away system I'm guessing that there is a manual shut off to the system, I can't imagine wood dust being good for the unit?

Its just a motor with a wire and plug. You get to determine how you turn it on and off.

Make sure your sawdust and clean up aren't contaminating your coolant.

Jid2, that's a pretty serious machine you have in your garage, may I ask make you make with it?

Stuff I design for all the normal expensive guy hobbies. Then other dudes want it and I sell it to them, that's the business model. I have a day job that is pretty sweet, so all this happens in my "free-time" which there isn't alot of. So I gotta make a lot of parts in not much time.

Ok so bought the Mist Away system and Qualichem xtreme cut 250c, time to clean the machine. There plenty of rust on the vises (Orange Vise) so I need to clean them. Is there a solution that I can let them soak in to lose up the dirt grime and rust?

CLR. WD40 and very easy use of the scotch bright pad.