586,119 active members*
3,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > How to edit MadCam post-processor

How to edit MadCam post-processor

My post processor "Mach3-Metric-5-Axis" refuses to create A0.000 and B0.000 commands in the text file. As a result, my rotary axes are kept at a previous angle. If I cut a back of a medal ( A at 180 degrees) first, then the machine would cut the front without flipping the part to A=0.
    Therefore, I always have edit my G-code manually.

How can I edit my post-processor to make it always bring the A and B axes to ZERO between tool-paths?
    Michael.

Re: How to edit MadCam post-processor

Open up the folder C:\ProgramData\5XCNC\madCAM\5.0\Post Processors, make a copy of your post processor and go on and edit as you like.
    Keep a copy somewhere else if you make an upgrade or something.

You also have a section in the help called Post Processing, check it out.

If I understand correctly, I think you need to edit these sections:

*TOOLPATH_CHANGE*

*TOOL_STOP*

If you don't have the *TOOLPATH_CHANGE* section, add it. Not all posts that ship with madCAM have all of the sections included. As Sven suggested, look in the help file for an idea of what is possible.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi,

I am having specifically this problem. All 4th axis commands work great as long as they are not A0. My post did not have either section mentioned, but I do no know what what the content of the sections should look like, or where in the txt file they are output. I have read the entire section of the help which is supposed to cover this, but without examples of the syntax I am having difficulty.

What would the *TOOLPATH_CHANGE* and/or *TOOL_STOP* contain?

Many thanks!
    O

So just to be clear, your A value is outputing correctly except if it should be A0? What happens if it is A0?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for getting back to me. All output is great except when A0, then is simply outputs nothing in the "a" space.

I have been experimenting with the *TOOLPATH_CHANGE* area of the post and tried to add an "a" there, as that is where it had the most potential to do damage, but it now puts a huge number (albeit the same number, it is in the hundreds of millions and not divisible evenly by 360) in the place of "a". Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
    O

I'll have to look into this. Can you post your post-processor here for me to look at? I have a post for a 4-axis machine we use down in the USA, so I'd like to compare yours to mine and see if I see a difference that could be causing this.

Dan

Absolutely. Thanks a ton for having a look at this. It is a barley modified Mach3 post. Thanks again,

Try adding this to your post:

*FIRST_MOVE*
    G16"a"
    G00"x""y"
    G00"z"
    *END_SECTION*

G16 is the code for rotating the 4th axis on our machine. Yours might be different. This should get the rotation into your code, even if it is A0.