586,110 active members*
3,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > What can I do with a bitmap?

What can I do with a bitmap?

NOTE TO SELF... SEARCH THREADS BEFORE POSTING... (sorry everyone - computers are my bread and butter... following directions? not so much (chair)

------------------------------------------------------------

I know I am a LOOONG way from doing all the exciting things I want to do with my CNC Wood Router table - but I am hoping that by buying Dolphin, I can get there. Some of my questions are:

1) I know that I am able to import a bitmap image into Dolphin CAD - but what will that allow me to do? Can I create any kind of routed output directly from it? I would REALLY like to convert a bitmap to some kind of 'image' on wood - would make very unique gifts
    2) 'reliefs' - simple thinks like signs, but also more complex like a 'rolled rope' outline... or even convert a simple picture to a 3D relief
    3) carving - I've watched where folks have used a 'V' bit and created super intricate carvings based on changing the depth in the Z-axis - will Dolphin give me that ability?

Not sure this is the venue to ask those questions - but I'm asking!!

Arden

Re: What can I do with a bitmap?

I have never used dolphin, so I can't say what you can and can't do with it. But you could take a look at Vectric Aspire. I know with a little bit of practice you can do what you are talking about, or they also have pre-made vectors you can purchase for a reasonable price.

Hello,

When you load a bitmap, you can "trace" over the shape using the basic lines / arcs - you can't create a relief or height field.

ATB
    Andre

Try checking out my long post on a different forum you may also enjoy. Inkscape and the various options and capabilities will server you well. From Inkscape and many bitmaps you can sail into Dolphin in no time. Here is the link: I have references to YouTube vids and some screen shots from DCam. ENJOY most of all!
    The Hobby-Machinist.com - The Friendly Machinist Forum

Also - Just search for inkscape to DXF and you'll find a few plug ins. The "Better better DXF" for Inkscape is amazing on many item you pull from Inkscape.
    CG.