586,103 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V carving letters
Page 1 of 2 12

V carving letters

Haven't done this before so could use a little guidance. I want to make a mailbox post with address and name engraved in the parts. I've attached the font which was created in V25 but for some reason when I load into V26 Bobcad converts to another font. The only way it shows properly is in V26 Bobart pro. I would like to route this with a v-tool and have it actually rise out on the narrow areas. Is that possible?

Thanks, Forrest

Re: V carving letters

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nnnn.JPG  

That looks great Jr but can it be done with the letters routed instead of raised?

Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest C View Post
    Haven't done this before so could use a little guidance. I want to make a mailbox post with address and name engraved in the parts. I've attached the font which was created in V25 but for some reason when I load into V26 Bobcad converts to another font. The only way it shows properly is in V26 Bobart pro. I would like to route this with a v-tool and have it actually rise out on the narrow areas. Is that possible?

Thanks, Forrest

It seems to open as a different text for me also. In the preview it show a different text which I assume is what you want.

The Font is a Monotype Corsiva
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mmmmm.JPG  

Jr, that's exactly it. Can you explain briefly how you did that please? If it's done in bobart I only have V26 with BA pro. One thing that I noticed when I opened it in BA is the vectors are not that clean.

Forrest

Jr, what version did you open that in?

Forrest

Forrest

Did you create it in v25 that maybe had that font added? if so may be if you explode it a couple of times before saving in V25 maybe it will be able to be opened with V26.

RAF, yes this was done in V25 and then I tried to open it in V26 because I thought I had to use BA to machine it but now I think I can just take it into the cam and use Vcarve to machine it. After that I can simulate and show the customer. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Forrest

I used V26,,,No did not use BoBART,,,No I did not clean-up anything.I just opened your file and did the CAM.

Okay Jr, no matter what I do the font reverts to another type. When I open your attached file I can see the correct toolpath but the font has changed to something else. Is this a bug in my version or am I missing the correct sequence? I have V26 3x pro build 1335.

By the way, I would use V25 but I don't have the Vcarve option available in 3D toolpaths.

Forrest

From my test of text font showing as a different style is if I have a font in Windows on my office computer that is not on my shop computer, a font used to create a tool path on the office computer will
    not show that font when open on a computer without that font installed.

If I explode the Text before saving then it seems to be just geom (which makes sense) and will show in the correct shape of the font and is very usable. (nice to put on its own layer for ease of selection now that it is many lines and arcs).

So when a font style is given to me that I do not have loaded on my computer I will Explode it before saving and then I can open it as usable geom.

Another very handy use of Explode (which I think happens automatically,but then again maybe that is not what happens) is when an object, font, or etc. is brought into Bobart as a pdf file and loaded in Bobart Manager vector file it becomes very usable geom in regular good old Bob.

There are so many Fonts out there that I would have to load to cover all the bases (let alone maybe having to pay for some Font I would possibly never use again) so for me EXPLODE IS GOOD TOOL.

Just a thought

RAF.

Forrest
    If you have it in V25 can you Explode it, save it in V25, and then open it in V26?

Explode is good for reducing a font to geometry....

Fonts are in C:windows/fonts. You can copy it from the computer that has it with a thumb and install it by double clicking it... Although, in theory, that is breaking some eula.... Like telling your model supplier to send the font with the model, if you don't have the one the design was created with...

Mine is named "monotype corsiva", so, there could be some slight difference in the font (from 2 different vendors)... If you need to be "exact", you need to be sure you are both using the exact same font of creation.....

I was able to explode the geometry and get what I needed. Thanks for the help guys, Forrest

I'm still having trouble with the geometry this time in the cam side. The tool path is broken up into lots of little lines and retractions. Is it because I exploded the geometry? I thought it would actually rise out on the Z axis in a continuous movement.

Forrest
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm still having trouble with the geometry this time in the cam side. The tool path is broken up into lots of little lines and retractions. Is it because I exploded the geometry? I thought it would actually rise out on the Z axis in a continuous movement.

Forrest
    If the copy needs to be raised, I took your geom and added a rectangle at the size of stock then selected all for geom then used Pocket then a Profile on just the text as geom.

This should be easier than it seems. The only way to get it to do the whole letter is to set the depth of cut smaller. However this causes it to take way to many passes and to retract a ridiculous amount of times. Maybe the software cannot do what I think it should. All I want is for the tool to enter at 1 point and follow the bottom of the cut moving up in the z axis as the letter narrows. Is this possible to do in just a few passes per letter?

Forrest

This should be easier than it seems. The only way to get it to do the whole letter is to set the depth of cut smaller. However this causes it to take way to many passes and to retract a ridiculous amount of times. Maybe the software cannot do what I think it should. All I want is for the tool to enter at 1 point and follow the bottom of the cut moving up in the z axis as the letter narrows. Is this possible to do in just a few passes per letter?

Forrest
    With a v cutter with any depth you may be stuck in what you are finding. Maybe someone knows some trick to get it to do what you would like. A problem with much depth is the loss of part of the letter in the narrow strokes.
    Attaching a sample of an exploded letter before tool path and with straight side walls at a.5 depth and a V cut at top Maybe something like this will work for you for more speed.

Just a thought

RAF.

Forrest

Quit fighting it Forrest,,,go on the Internet and find a free download of the Font Monotype Corsiva,,,notice the "v" in Corsiva...Put it in your Font folder and get er done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RAF. View Post
    If the copy needs to be raised, I took your geom and added a rectangle at the size of stock then selected all for geom then used Pocket then a Profile on just the text as geom.
    He had said not raised,just sayin

Page 1 of 2 12