586,106 active members*
3,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Y axis limit switch

Okay, I converted my Sherline 5000 series mill to CNC and mounted limit switches to all axises. The Y axis switch near the rear column will stop the saddle before it hits but if I have something wider than the mill table it will hit the column and not trip the switch because the saddle has not reached the switch yet. Does anyone have a photo or suggestion on how to make that limit switch more reliable to sense anything approaching the column. I could do it with opto swtiches but I am trying to use micro-lever type instead to keep it simple.
    Can anyone help.
    Thanks

How bout an adjustible rod mounted to the table and as part of the set up when mounting parts that hang over the table, adjust the adjustable stop.
    This would have to be adjusted to be equal in position to the normal switch activation surface. This may even be a separate switch (E stop) to prevent soft over travel.
    Just a thought.
    Regards Walt

If your using Mach3 why not just change your soft limits to suit when setting up a job.

Would only take a few seconds.

When I CNC'd my X3 I put limit switches on X and Y but have found soft limits
    work so well on this type of machine, I don't even use the limit switches. Just homing.

I have the limit switches wired in series with the E-stop button to function as fail safe in the event that an error creeps into the setup - Murphy's law and all that - I could just was easily screw up the soft limit setup, but they do make a nice backup and I intend to use them however it would be a lot easier to turn away from a lengthy project knowing the thing could babysit itself for a bit.
    I've pretty much worked it all out and have it running - I was just trying for different ideas on the subject so as not to have to re-invent.
    Thanks for the input.
    R