586,052 active members*
4,370 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Home Shop: Mill, Router or both?

View Poll Results: Do you have a mill, router or both?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have both a mill and router

47 30.13%
  • I have a mill only.

52 33.33%
  • I have a router only.

28 17.95%
  • I have neither.

29 18.59%

Home Shop: Mill, Router or both?

In your home shop:

Do you have a mill, router or both?

If you care to comment, please explain why.

Right now I have neither at my home. I am planning on getting my retrofitted Bridgeport Series 1 to my home in a couple months.

I do want a custom built router and I will use my mill to make parts for the router.

The router will cut large parts out of foam/renshape/wood, while the mill will do the metal parts.

Most routers are not rigid enough to handle metals like a mill.
    Direction, Commitment, Follow Through

I have several routers, only drwback is that as yet... none of them are CNC

Manual operation only !

I'm in the middle of converting my mill and so far just have the Y axis under PC control....and it's way better than winding the handle Once the mill is finished then it can make the router...Only problem I see is always wanting to make things better :shrug:
    Keith

I have several hand held routers but no cnc,however I will be building my own soon as I have the solsylva plans
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

I have a cnc router (camtech Z7), but am having a hard time getting things running. Looking to do 3d relief work. Any suggestions are welcome

Im building my first cnc wood router at the moment. No mill. Because the wood router is suitable for what I want to do and AFIK a mill is not. Carving large flat areas, up to 8'x8'. Maybe someday I will get a mill aswell but I dont see a need for one at the moment.

Re: Home Shop: Mill, Router or both?

Det er ikke nødvendigvis noen dårlig idé, men ettersom slike bord går veldig sakte er det vanskelig å si om innmaten egner seg for å gå så fort som du vil på en fres.

I have a home built 48 X 48 (aluminum) router, a bridgeport (love old iron), a lathemaster rf45 and a torus pro. Getting ready for retirement!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

most of my friends have the cnc router, some also have mill, so it varies from the business needs.
    ISweek(http://www.isweek.com/)- Industry sourcing & Wholesale industrial products

I have a benchtop mill. I want to make a cnc router one day but thought I will need the mill to help make a router and to learn about machining in general.

I also have a lathe that I converted to cnc but have since taken the cnc conversion off. I am not experienced enough yet to be confident in using it as a cnc and I don't need cnc lathe parts anyway.

Brett

I have a small manual mill which I've had for ages, but just bought a router because I needed a bit more of a work cube, was only working plastic and aluminium, and wanted the automation side of it.

If it works out well, I may sell the router one day and replace it (and the manual mill) with a larger CNC mill.

The lathe, I'll keep. Unless a super high res high rigidity high speed 4th or 5th axis drops in my lap