586,082 active members*
3,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > My custom X2 Mini Mill Stand with chip catcher

My custom X2 Mini Mill Stand with chip catcher

Hey everyone! I recently joined the forums and thought I would share my recent project. I am planning my CNC conversion on my x2 mini mill and was sick of having it on a low table so I decided to build a stand with an integrated chip bucket. The chip catcher is just a standard size storage bin. I have a half height version as well which I will probably end up using as that super deep bin would hold an insane amount of weight in chips.

I will eventually add cabinet sides, top, and a door in front once I add the mounts and steppers. I didn't really know how much exactly it would add so I didn't want to make sides yet.

Outside of that it seems to work quite well and has stopped hurting my back as know I can stand comfortably.

The tubing I used was 2"x2" 16 gauge and I tig welded it up since the mig is simply too messy. I finished it off with some gloss white Rustoleum paint and some tube end plugs found on eBay.

Once the CNC conversion is done I will put a floor on it which will hold a computer and some tooling. Then I will enclose the lower sides to keep it clean looking.

Re: My custom X2 Mini Mill Stand with chip catcher

Nickolaus,

Welcome to the Zone, very nice work on the stand ..

It's dangerous to be bitten by the CNC bug .. symptoms include but are not limited to: Hours & hours of time & money spent on the conversion itself, a considerable amount of money spent on broken tools (as you learn to become efficient using the beast} and even more time & money spent once your condition reaches the point where you realize how cool all the extra bells & whistles are: Power drawbar, Flood coolant, Enclosure, Probing, ATC, Auto tool height, & Multitudes of other MUST HAVES!

Be sure to report your symptoms regularly so your condition can be monitored by the rest of us who have been smitten ..

gd.marsh

I think there are far more than 12 steps involved in this group though. Welcome aboard and nice job. I am 6'5" tall, so it is crucial that I not have to bend over too far to operate machinery. Old football injuries in the lower back.
    Lee

It's more like an STD....you catch it just by touching someone else's thread that's already infected.

Very nice work on the stand. Are you planning on using coolant later on or was that not part of the design?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

As for coolant when i do the conversion.... I am not sure yet. I originally though about doing air cooled, but I don't really have the experience with either enough to know what the limitations are. Either way if it is required then I will make provisions and a recirculating system in order to do it.

I am still at the end stages of determining which controller and steppers to use. So many choices and every places swears they are the best.

Just an update on the stand. I recently added shelves for the computer and some white plexiglass to keep all the chips away from the books, supplies, and computer for the CNC conversion. Next I will be building the upper cabinet as soon as the CNCFusion kit comes (its been 4 weeks now).

I just sold my x2 that was cnc'd. I would go more than 300oz stepper if I were you, I had a lot of issues losing steps and always had to leave the gibs a bit on the loose side. I was using the factory HF lead screws on the X and Y. The Z was the only one with a Ballscrew. Perhaps using the ballscrews on the x,y would help some. I am currently in the process of building the Hoss NC conversion on the G0704. Hoss did some serious magic with his X2 Freak. Have fun and thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    It's more like an STD....you catch it just by touching someone else's thread that's already infected.
    Or maybe even by watching their video on YT?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce217 View Post
    I just sold my x2 that was cnc'd. I would go more than 300oz stepper if I were you, I had a lot of issues losing steps and always had to leave the gibs a bit on the loose side. I was using the factory HF lead screws on the X and Y. The Z was the only one with a Ballscrew. Perhaps using the ballscrews on the x,y would help some. I am currently in the process of building the Hoss NC conversion on the G0704. Hoss did some serious magic with his X2 Freak. Have fun and thanks for sharing.
    I ended up getting the 425oz Kelling Steppers: NEMA23 425oz/in 2.8A Stepper Motor
    I purchased an ethernet smooth stepper, g540, and power supply. As soon as I get the CNC fusion kit I can get it all going. I just with the CNC Fusion had better communication.