586,616 active members*
2,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Good mill cleaners anyone?

I am looking for a cleaner for a larger mill,

it should be biodegradable,

it smells mild, kinda like diluted simple green.....

Any ideas or suggestions (or even procedures?)

Talking

One cleaner that fits the bill is called a "steam cleaner".

Its biodegradable, runs above 212f, and gets the dirt, grease, paint and anything else off.

cleansol, u can get it from msc. its made for cleaning machine tool exipment.

fwiw, In readily available consumer grade spray-on cleaners the most powerful I've found is Castrol Super Clean.
    For o/l order, is a link on super clean

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...0super%20clean

Quote Originally Posted by Pres View Post
    One cleaner that fits the bill is called a "steam cleaner".

Its biodegradable, runs above 212f, and gets the dirt, grease, paint and anything else off.
    we used one of those when we moved the company into a new building , its incredible how well they work
    you could probably get a rental somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by leberen View Post
    I am looking for a cleaner for a larger mill,

it should be biodegradable,

it smells mild, kinda like diluted simple green.....

Any ideas or suggestions (or even procedures?)

What are you trying to clean off, lube oil, grease, ??? Or is it the residue left from water mix coolant after the water evaporates away? We use Methyl Hydrate and it removes the coolant residue very easily. It does not do much on grease or oil.

Just started using Berryman's All Purpose Cleaner/Degreaser. This stuff is great. Biodegradabl, Non-Caustic, Phosphate Free Half ways pleasant order. Spray on-wait a few minutes-rinse off. BTW if build-up isn't too bad I have had good luck with WD-40 as a quick cleaner.
    Dave Schell, SeaSchell Tackle Machining/Mfg./Design [email protected] 619 562-1835

Okay,

There are some really good suggestions here, thanks everyone!

The machine is a larger bridgeport knee style mill and has grease, oil, not excessive but enough to need cleaning. From the sound of it, Berrymans All purpose sounds like the ideal fit and is EXACTLY what was described. 1. Biodegradable 2.scent similar to simple green 3. white can 4.foaming
    5. easy on $$

http://midwayautosupply.com/pc-1582-...osol-0818.aspx

all the others are definately worth trying out.

Another vote for the Castrol Super Clean. I recently used it to clean / degrease my new Bridgeport mill. It is amazing how well it works. However, the scent is not something to be desired. It will burn your eyes and your throat if you inhale it. I would not recommend using it indoors, unless you have some really good ventilation (i.e. fans, open doors / windows, e.t.c.).

Ace hardware sells a product called "Purple Stuff" it is a powerfull degreaser used by mechanics & bikers! I took a horsehair paintbrush, cut the bristles off to a length of 3/4" and started at the top of a series II Bridgeport that was from a mold shop, covered in carbon, tapping oil grease and who knows what!

Buy the time I was done, it was sparkling clean!

Eric

Great input!

I'd get the Castrol if it was in a larger shop, not sure on the ventelation but good to know for outdoor/circulated uses. My guess is it wont leave a nasty oily residue. The Purple Stuff sounds like it'd be a little more user friendly, while the Berrymans sounds almost like an engine degreaser. Berrymans makes a mean injector/fuel cleaner! Im going this weekend and I'll pick up whatever I can find to "experiment".(flame2) :bat:

We have "Do it" centers similar to Ace, I'll make my rounds through there and the Napa down the road and see what I can find. Sounds like theres many options just a matter of going out and trying a few.

Most of the oil is caked on from normal use, She'll probably get a good oiling afterward.

Thanks!

I Use 409 kitchen cleaner Orange power in the Spray bottle. It works Great.