586,551 active members*
3,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > New to group and Bobcad

New to group and Bobcad

Hello all, I have been reading lots of good info on this forum, and many entertaining things too. I'm not having much trouble with the cam side of the software ( trouble with thread mill and multi passes short of several features) but the cad end of it really is bringing me down, I don't understand why it would be so primitive compared to like autocad. Or I'm just missing the fact it was only put in for simple stuff????

Thanks, Dave

Re: New to group and Bobcad

I would not call it it primitive.....but different. I too was an autocad man. Learning the cad side of Bob was very different from what I was used to. I had to learn to look at things from several different angles...and sometimes think outside the box just to accomplish the task that was at hand. For instance....if tomorrow your job had a mandate that all communication with other company's had to now be in SWEDISH (without the google interpreter) you would immediately find it to be cumbersome and probably uh...PRIMITIVE. However the people in Sweden can produce some extremely high quality products (I prefer sandvik tooling)...so they are anything but primitive...just different in their communication. Hang in there dude, this forum and others is a great place to learn or at least force you to look at things from a different point of view. You would get better at Swedish over time...and you will most certainly get better at BobCad'ing.

PS. For certain features and functions I have learned a great deal from the Al's Bobcad afterdark videos. They are usually short and very direct.

[QUOTE=118;1627510]I would not call it it primitive.....but different."

Ok, an example is object snap's???? maybe I have yet to learn where they are, or the ones I found are very primitive? No.......Compared to even Auto Cad. How about snaping to some point and offset a base point for a move like in auto cad, these two things are two of the most used modify tools I use and are primitive and not that easy to do in BC. Snaps for measurments and measurements themselves seem very hard also. I might be learning how this works if it would stop crashing on me in the middle of trying these items.

Thanks, Dave

It's not autocad and isn't the same, the CAD is more like true geometrical drawing where you spend some time planning and constructing what you want and ensuring some things are right first time.
    Once you get used to it it's nearly as quick as drawing it wrong then correcting it ;-)

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    It's not autocad and isn't the same, the CAD is more like true geometrical drawing where you spend some time planning and constructing what you want and ensuring some things are right first time.
    Once you get used to it it's nearly as quick as drawing it wrong then correcting it ;-)

- Nick
    Hi Nick,
    I don't understand your post, I was referring to BC and it's lack of snap point options. " like true geometrical drawing" ????

Thanks, Dave ( Im havig a tough time typing on this foum???? misses half my inputs????)

Quote Originally Posted by Dvprice View Post
    Hi Nick,
    I don't understand your post, I was referring to BC and it's lack of snap point options. " like true geometrical drawing"")
    Bc doesnt have wcs snaps. You have to create you snap points.

Although with your "example", the line continuous tool in v27 will draw tjat out within the command. No snaps needed.

[QUOTE=Dvprice;1627858]Hi Nick,
    " like true geometrical drawing" ????
    [QUOTE]

Yes, you know, with a pencil?
    When I was at college drawing boards didn't have snap points or let you draw something incorrectly then pull it to size, shape and position ;-)
    It's a different way of working, more time thinking and planning first, some use of layers for construction where necessary and less time fettling and correcting afterwards, some who don't like it or have 3D requirements not easily achieved with it use a separate package for drawing and just use BobCAD's CAM function,

- Nick

[QUOTE=magicniner;1628006][QUOTE=Dvprice;1627858]Hi Nick,
    " like true geometrical drawing" ????

Yes, you know, with a pencil?
    When I was at college drawing boards didn't have snap points or let you draw something incorrectly then pull it to size, shape and position ;-)
    It's a different way of working, more time thinking and planning first, some use of layers for construction where necessary and less time fettling and correcting afterwards, some who don't like it or have 3D requirements not easily achieved with it use a separate package for drawing and just use BobCAD's CAM function,

- Nick
    Hi Nick, I'm not referring to creating something and then modifying to fit what I'm drawing. I have over 20years creating 3d parts and machines in autocad and was referring to the lack of snap points that are required to position well thoughtout solids or plines to extrude revolve or extrude along a path. excetra. Are you familiar with autocad 3d work, just curios to the background. And yes the last part re-enforced what I was saying.

Thanks, Dave

I was lucky (?) enough to pre-date AutoCad use in school & college and was used to 3D work in 3rd angle projection with additional projections from custom planes where necessary.
    I've not found it a problem to create a new UCS plane for positioning well thought out solids or extrusions at interesting offsets and/or angles from the 3 base planes, I believe it's because I came to BCC without formal training in another package that I ended up asking "how do I do this?" rather than "why is the function I'm used to missing?"
    A lot of the answers for me were in the very good Training Professor DVDs, also watch Al's excellent AfterDark content - much of the V25 and V26 stuff will have at least some relevance to V27,
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I was lucky (?) enough to pre-date AutoCad use in school & college and was used to 3D work in 3rd angle projection with additional projections from custom planes where necessary.
    I've not found it a problem to create a new UCS plane for positioning well thought out solids or extrusions at interesting offsets and/or angles from the 3 base planes, I believe it's because I came to BCC without formal training in another package that I ended up asking "how do I do this?" rather than "why is the function I'm used to missing?"
    A lot of the answers for me were in the very good Training Professor DVDs, also watch Al's excellent AfterDark content - much of the V25 and V26 stuff will have at least some relevance to V27,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Hi Nick

I have a good example for you, but at the moment tryig to figure out what is happening that Is keeping me from typing on this forum, missis 3/4 of my key board inputs, happens on both computers. I just steeped away for a few minutes and now it is allowing me to type normaly???????. I'm at work and no time to explaine and post files that would show a good example. It is opening a solid from .iges file and a solid merge of a solid made in autocad that is used for the stock. The hard part for me at this time is rotating ( mostly got that part just not simple) and aligning them to each other without things like the snap points I may be missing that might be in BC???

Thanks, Dave