586,110 active members*
3,181 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Benchman 4000 VMC coolant pump question

Benchman 4000 VMC coolant pump question

Hello, I've got a Benchman VMC 4000 that I'm converting to Mach3. I have isolated the wires to the coolant pump but not before I had torn into the control box too quickly to take note of the power path to the pump....I'm usually better about that.
    Can someone confirm for me original pump runs on 120 VAC? What wire color scheme does your coolant pump use? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you, Nathan

Re: Benchman 4000 VMC coolant pump question

If you haven't already solved.

I have a 4000 as a back burner project to convert to LinuxCNC. unfortunately it does not have the optional coolant pump. A quick look at the old machine side control board looks like the output to the coolant would be the same as servo power IN (connector J2), 220 V single phase main. But that is just a best as can visual, board already removed with no power.

Probably your best bet will be to physically pull the pump to look for any nameplate data on the pump motor.

I know not really helpful, and there just doesn't seem to be much info on the web or many of these in the hands of the general public.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply, it is helpful...much wiser than my temptation to assume blue, brown and green are a 120VAC connection and accidentally let the smoke out of the motor.
    I'll lift up the chip grates and see if I can read a nameplate with a mirror; the machine only has 50 hours on it so I want to avoid un-mounting anything I can leave in place.
    This project is going on 1 year with less than an hour a week on it, amazing how time flies. Keep me update on your retrofit. I'm planning to add a power drawbar of some type.

Thank you, Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by MNskier View Post
    Thanks for the reply, it is helpful...much wiser than my temptation to assume blue, brown and green are a 120VAC connection and accidentally let the smoke out of the motor.
    I'll lift up the chip grates and see if I can read a nameplate with a mirror; the machine only has 50 hours on it so I want to avoid un-mounting anything I can leave in place.
    This project is going on 1 year with less than an hour a week on it, amazing how time flies. Keep me update on your retrofit. I'm planning to add a power drawbar of some type.

Thank you, Nathan
    Nathan,
    The coolant pump on my Benchman VMC 4000 is 12V DC. Let me know if you need to know anything further, or if you need pictures of the factory power drawbar.

I'm also in need of Electronics help, or maybe pictures of electronics components for a Benchman VMC 4000 if anyone else can help.
    darcy_dyno (at) yahoo.com