586,114 active members*
3,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 16i memory card

Hi guys, is it possible to use a pcmcia adapter with a compact flash memory as external memory on this control? A technician told me that only ata flash memory cards (very expensive) work.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamie pinols View Post
    Hi guys, is it possible to use a pcmcia adapter with a compact flash memory as external memory on this control? A technician told me that only ata flash memory cards (very expensive) work.
    Thanks
    I think it is I have heard of guys doing tyhis I think it is called "Drip Feeding" but I am almost sure it is an option. How much memory do you need? And how much do you have now?

Bluesman

I bought the adaptor for around $25 and the flash card $50.

Yes this can be done, with a few constraints.

Some older versions of the 16i may not like larger sized ata cards. We have an old 8MB card we use and it works on all ours, but a 12MB will not work in one of them. Other than that I think the rest applies to any type card used.

The I/O chanel must be set to use a card (Paramater 20 = 4)
    The program on the card can be run as DNC, or call subprograms from it while running the main program from the control memory.

Ask Fanuc about "DNC operation with memory card" Document # B-63014EN/01-02 page 659

I have also reacently heard from a fanuc engineer that unused F-ram may be used for storage as well as unused D-ram on the control. I havn't yet followed up on how this is done.

American Machinist sponsored
    webcast that should be avaliable for download later http://event.on24.com/eventRegistrat...userid=8155856

Quote Originally Posted by jamie pinols View Post
    Thanks
    Yes, we do this all the time for large programs. We use a plain old compact flash card (1 GB, same ones for cameras etc) and a PCMCIA adapter and store our programs on it. Use M198 Pxxxx to call up file "Oxxxx" on the card, or DNC directly from the card if you put the machine in remote mode.

You will need version B0F2 of the 16i controller or later.

Parameters for memory card DNC:
    0.0 = 0 (TV Check)
    20 = 4 (select the memory card as IO channel)
    138.7 = 1 (enable memory card DNC)
    3404.2 = 0 (DNC by using program number)

-A