586,075 active members*
3,694 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Repositioning long work?

Is there an easy way to do this?
    I have a lite ply fuse side about 60 inches long, and my machine can only do 40.
    I can freely move any length, but how do I configure the software to stop, go to X0, then continue?

I'm using TurboCad V4, AceConverter and TurboCNC.

Thanks,

Joe Petro
    People Make This Hobby Great!

Hi Joe,

I would use a G92 Home command. In the first setup, with the tool axis at home over the corner of the part, the corner of your part would be G92 X0 Y0 Zz

After repositioning, with the tool at home, the corner now becomes G92 X40. Y0 Zz

However, you will most certainly have to find a way to break all the toolpaths at the 40" mark in your CAD, and only create the paths on one side of the line for your first program, and paths on the second side for your second program. But that is not the end of it. You will have to allow a bit of overlap between the toolpaths at the 40" mark, so that the flats are properly cleaned up.

Take this advice cautiously, because I don't know how any of your setup works.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you!

It seems easier to do it as two different files.
    Run the first 40 inches, then home.
    Slide the work back, run the second file.

Since I will be essentially making two drawings, why not save and convert as different files?

Thanks again,

Joe Petro
    People Make This Hobby Great!

Joe,
    I have a fuselage that is 75" long and I cut the cad file in half and made 2 different gcode files. The first file stopped at x38,y6.762. File 2 started at x0,y6.72. So when file 1 ended the last line read G00 x0 y6.762. Then I moved the plywood to the next start position. Then I manually lowered the z axis to align the piece real close. Then lowered the bit through the previous cut and gently slid the piece to touch the bit. Harder to explain than to do. It worked great. My router has 20y and 48x travel.

Jerry Dotson

Use a series of locating pins off the center of the part, that could be preferably drilled on the machine. Then draw the part flipping it over with two seperate cut files rehoming and doing half of the part. Pins could be in a triangular pattern for better alignment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuse.bmp  
    We are open 24hrs. - just not in a row.