586,489 active members*
2,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry K2 can't get going??

I have just received my K222514 from the US and can't get it going. I have contacted K2 and we have gone through just about evrything, still no joy.
    I am using Mach2 paid for version, installed correctly on its own pc which has been optimised just fo it. i have also loaded the K22514 processor file which is recognised.
    Mach2 is comunicating with machine as It recognises the emergency stop button (machine one) and the 3 limit switches (although i have to manually turn them in in Mach2)

I have opend the "box" and get the correct reading from the transformer and the Geko drives light up.
    I have tried taking a voltage reading off the X Y Z connections whilst running mac2 in manual mode and can get no voltage reading from any axis.
    Now if I had any hair I would be pulling it out!!

Any help, suggestions thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated, I am sure it must be something simple or something broken "but what"

Cheers

Colin

I'll just start with the obvious, and a question to you servos or steppers?
    I think your problem is in the setup in mach.
    Wire connections correct?
    Check continuity though connectors.
    Has the arm button been pressed?
    Has the reset button been pressed in mach?
    *Have you gone into mach and confirmed that the pin assignments are correct?
    *Have you gone into mach and looked at the motor tuning?
    *Have you gone into mach and checked the proper orientation of the limit switches?
    Get into the diagnostics screen and manually toggle the switches and make sure mach is recognizing them properly.
    HTH

Steppers
    Pressed the reset button too many times to remember and after pressing limit switches and ES switch
    Confirmed pin asignment with K2 guy
    looked at motor tuning (nothing happens)
    have gone into diagnostics and pressed limit switches yellow lights come on
    did notice though that x and Y are rong way round.
    not sure what the arm button is, i`ll have to have a look tomorrow it.s 1 am here and I'm all done in

Thanks

Colin

Dunno if a computer engineer in South Yorkshire would be much use to you Colin, but if all else fails. I'm interested in the K2 machine.

Joules

I have a laptop that I couldnt run Mach on for six months and then one day out of the blue I was trying again and found it was that there was no port selected for the drive outputs on the ports&pins set-up screen. It is to the far right and easy to miss.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"Dunno if a computer engineer in South Yorkshire would be much use to you Colin, but if all else fails. I'm interested in the K2 machine."

Joules
    It seems that a board in the driver box is faulty and K2 are building me a new driver box.
    When I get it going you are more than welcome to come and have a go on it if you are also thinking of buying a K2.

colin

One of the reasons we elected to design in "activity" LED's as an option on all of our breakout cards and as standard accessories on all of our box products is to address this type of issue. With the indicators you can actually see the individual step and direction signals on each axis. They are tied across the actual outputs to the Geckos so if they flash when you jog, then it has to be the interconnect cable or the common voltage (+5 on most) is not there.

I had a similar problem with a customer the other day and it was quickly determined that there were no pulses coming out of the box to the Gecko's. Then we started testing inputs. All of the pins were defined right in MACH and we were getting the Charge Pump that comes on (in the product) on the Port 2. The end result was that for some reason Windows was getting confused on the port assignments. The port 2 add-in card was sitting at LPT3 and there was no LPT2 defined BUT when we simply moved the 2nd port (which was working) from LPT3 to LPT2 all of a sudden the LPT1 started putting out pulses. Go figure. It would have taken a lot longer to solve without the activity LED's on the Step and Direction outputs. Besides, they are fun to watch when the machine is running (:-)

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Colin - A quick question - did you get the k2 from the usa - if so could you tell me the spec you bought and the cost inc shipping .I am interested in the k2 - dependent on where you are ,could I possibly have a look - bit cheeky but if you dont ask.....
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk