586,100 active members*
3,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

keeping cutting oil at bay

Hey everyone
    I work in a shop that manufactures medical implants. I program and run several tsugamis and citizens.

We also have about 35 Haas and a Mori Seiki mills doing 5 axis work.
    Out of 24 employees only 5 are toolmakers and are able to program. Tge rest are mainly operators.

Out of those 5 only 2 of us can program and run cnc swiss. I'm always getting complaints from others about oil residue on things. Usually I may have some on the back of my arms. The trouble with the tsugamis is they are running mainly external coolant lines. So when you reach in to change a tool or adjust something oil is always dripping down.
    I try go tell them that it's a big difference between cnc swiss oil and water bcoolant they are running. I tell the your coolant is attached to the spindle as well mine us not and once I have the lines where I want them I don't touch them. Have you hus had any of the same type experiences?

I feel both sides.

on the one hand, oil kind of sucks to deal with. you can't just wipe it off your hands, it gets everything else oily, it's more difficult to clean if the floor ect. we just accept it as Swiss people after a while. it's a necessayoury evil and it's what it is. I don't think about it much anymore, but given the choice if rather not be covered in oil, so I sympathize on that level.

that said, don't touch my damn oil lines or at least put them back how you found them . proper oil delivery is critical in Swiss( and most machining really) and if you repeatedly make a mess of my carefully placed oil lines I would politely ask you too be careful when going in the machine and explain why. it's reasonable to leave something how you found it imo, if nothing else.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant