586,110 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Learning how to operate a Mazak/yasakawa system

Hi guys,
    I'm seriously looking at purchasing a Mazak VTC-41 (yasnak mx3 control system) for my workshop after sorting out a few issues that it currently has with it (see thread a few down). Now I have to learn how to drive it. I've got extensive cad experience with both solidworks and Autocad, and have used a cad operated hot wire foam cutter and a CNC router quite a lot. Both the cnc machines i've used previously we very easy to use, they just used a cad type software interface which you could import cad files into and add tool paths to. Now the machine i'm purchasing is a 91 model and is somewhat less user friendly. What's the best way or place to learn how to operate it? Can I use a software package to convert solidworks or autocad drawings to the format used by the yasnak control system? What sort of advice can you offer to help me out as i'm quite a begineer with g-code and cnc mills. How do you actually load programs into the machine's memory?, it appears to only have a serial type input. Sorry to pose such a beginners request, but these forums seem to be full of friendly and helpful people, it's really nice. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Cheers lads

The yasnak mx3 is very similar to a 16m fanuc control. As far as user friendlieness is concerned...that's a matter of opinion I guess. You'll need some sort of cad/cam software like Bobcad or MasterCAM to create G-code for the machine to use. Also you need the manuals for the machine tool. These you should study...a lot. Once you've gotten the hang of starting up the machine, homing the axis, moving it around manulaly and turning the spindle on and off, you can go on to some manual data input commands. Write back when you get that far.

Thanks mate. So does that mean any cad/cam to g-code program will work with it? Do you have some suggestions on the best one to work with? a cheaper one would be great, but I understand you get what you pay for. What do we think of the OneCNCXR2 that's advertised on here?, it looks very user friendly, but does that mean it lacks in the functionality department? Cheers

I'm not sure about OneCNCXR2, but it mainly depends on what you want to do with your machine. For instance, if you want to do a lot of 3D work, your going to need more powerful software. For 2D work such as simple mill, drill, and tap sort of stuff most anything will work. Also G-code can be handwritten to the control...but this is tedious at best. I've used BobCAD and I think you can download a trial version of it for free as you probably can with most CAD/CAM software. I'm currently using MasterCAM ver.9 it's good, but it's expensive. Just try a few and see what you prefer.

Good Luck,
    AJL

Hi,
    We use Mazacam/Geopath here on the Central Coast. The program is probably one of the easiest to learn i have found. I went to TAFE to do CNC machining and learnt mastercam and have found that the geopath software was a lot easier and cheaper. If you would like to see a demo of it just PM me with some contact info.