586,100 active members*
2,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

No power to 50 watt chinese laser.

Hi, I have a 50 watt Chinese laser. Haven't had it very long. Today I was burning some things, then all of a sudden....no laser. Like no power to laser. Power supply fan and light working. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LASER-ENGRAVING-50W-CO2-AUXILIARY-ROTARY-AIR-ASSIST-DESKTOP-DEVICE-PROFESSIONAL-/150964367746?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23262d 7182, haven't had it very long... not getting any help from company. Here's a video of machine... .So I bypassed flow switch, checked the internal fuse in the power supply, tightened everything..... Everything works but no power to laser. Does not have any protection switches except main emergency which actually quit working this AM, bypassed it. Still no fire. It was working fine on one cut, then just quit, no noise..... everything looks good. Any suggestions. I unplugged the one input to power supply and hit the test button, still nada.... HELP... I can't afford to buy something I don't need. (can't afford to buy something I do need for that matter)...but this is my livlihood... Please HELP

Re: No power to 50 watt chinese laser.

I also have this exact problem, stopped working between cuts. I have checked all wiring, tube, water supply, door sensor etc. Light, air pump, laser head working fine but laser will not fire.

Did you unplug the data cable to the power supply and try a test to see if it works? Have you tried to check the power supply incase this has failed? I believe you can also check the voltages into the power supply with a multimeter to check if the data controller is not faulty. You can also use a multimeter to test milliamps sent to the laser tube but I havent got that far yet.

Please keep us updated with this issue so I can troubleshoot my issue.

Scott

It was the power supply
    Yep, I tested the in voltage, and the out wire from tube, water cutoff, checked all wiring, It was the Power Supply, got one for 100 dollars from China (all I could afford w/ 50$ 3 day shipping. Works great now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ashton View Post
    I also have this exact problem, stopped working between cuts. I have checked all wiring, tube, water supply, door sensor etc. Light, air pump, laser head working fine but laser will not fire.

Did you unplug the data cable to the power supply and try a test to see if it works? Have you tried to check the power supply incase this has failed? I believe you can also check the voltages into the power supply with a multimeter to check if the data controller is not faulty. You can also use a multimeter to test milliamps sent to the laser tube but I havent got that far yet.

Please keep us updated with this issue so I can troubleshoot my issue.

Scott

Many thanks for the reply. Is there a way to test the power supply (apologies if this is obvious).

We have looked at getting a new power supply from China but they ask is to choose either a 110v or 220v. We live in the uk, the machine we imported direct from a Chinese manufacturer but it came with s uk power lead. Is there a way to tell which voltage power supply we will need? There are no indications on the power supply itself.

Thanks again for the help
    Scott

Hey Scott, That is a very good question. Dangerous messing with the power....zap you to death. I always unplug 45 min before doing anything to let the capacitors discharge.. I did a bunch of stuff because I can't afford to buy something I don't need. First the usual stuff, check water sensor switch and bypass by connecting the 2 wires. If that doesn't fix it, I went to controller unit where those wires went in.... jumped it there. Still no, Then tried the test button ("text" on mine). Nothing, disconnected ...one of the leads into the power supply.(forget which now) and hit test, still nope... then checked all connections, tightened everything down.... Then I did the styrofoam peanut test where you dangle a styrofoam peanut on some thread from a stick standing on a plastic bucket (I don't take any chances)...then dangle it next to the red wire, hit fire and if there is power out it should pull the peanut to itself (so they say)...did nothing. A lady at the Power Supply company told me to meter the black wire coming back..(open it and put meter in between on mA setting. I wasn't sure if this was a good idea, but by this point was pretty sure there was no power... Still nothing. Then (after having it unplugged for some time..... rigged up a stick with copper wire on the end and a wire to ground and stood on a plastic bucket and grounded the red wire just to make sure, then took out power supply, took it apart and grounded capacitors....looked it over, there were some probs...return wire poorly soldered and transformer connections on circuit board kind of glazed.... fixed, still no work... So I decided to take a chance and order one... I can give you a link to where I got it...You can use my name and say Margarit Ni was who I dealt with and hopefully get the same deal... 100 for unit, 50 for shipping and 3 day delivery from China..... And the voltage would be whatever you are plugging in to. Everything we have here is 120. I don't know about UK. Here is the company link...]http://www.jnhyec.com/en/productxx.asp?signid=88&proid=122 Tell them my name and Margaret Ni from AliBaba I did business with. Good luck ...... If you aren't comfortable messing with high power stuff, err on the side of caution... OH, and here is another forum really great for answers on this machine..... I get a lot more help here, and quickly. Sawmill Creek Woodworking Community just go to the laser engraving section and ask, good help, some ********, but good folks too.