586,071 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Insert Milling Tools?

What Brand of tools have you had the most success with when cutting mild to hard steels.... especially stainless 304-316? (Sandvik, Iscar ???)

I'm not looking to turn a tool larger than 1".

I'm currently using Sandvik Cutters with a 4240-grade insert having some success but thinking about Iscar tooling?

Give me your opinion and/or Experience.

-Joe
    AIM Machining- President.

I've always had the best luck with Iscar, especially in 300 series stainless. For heavy roughing IC328. For other applications try IC907.

Iscar

Thanks the rep is comming out soon to visit with me.

Have you ever used a sandvik cutter???

I have good luck with sandvik
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I uses Sandviks Coromill 390 (dia 25 and 32) with different crades.Works OK.

We had excelent results with Ingersoll Hi-Pos End mills milling hi chrome stainless steels for turbine blades.
    DZASTR

Sandvik has a new stainless grade for thier R210 feed mills. We've had good luck with 2030 and 2040 in 316 at 700 SFPM.

We run Iscar, Sowa, Kennametal, Hitachi, Ingersoll and tungaloy and each has its sweet spot and I wouldn't dare say that one is the hands down winner for everything just that Iscar tends to be the most expensive and for carbide drills don't even bother with anything but tungaloy.

P.S. for harder materials other than stainless I'd try the 3020 or 3040 over your current choice. Your local sandvik guy should be willing to give you a few inserts for a trial run.

I've never had much to do with Sandvik except for some of their smaller insert drills. The always seemed to cater more towards OEM's and larger manufacturers rather than the job shops. Just my opinion though...:cheers:

iscar great

valenite sux

Smile Thanks

I appriciate everybodies input.

I do believe there are several tools that can do a job and each may have it's sweet spot. I've always liked Sandviks performance in Steel but it's strange and I talked to the Sandvik reps about it but their 4240 grade (for mild steels) have been outpreforming theire 2030 and 2040 grade inserts (stainless grades)

They told me they were'n't suprized because they have such an overlap of capabilities and that probably the high positive along with the coating on the 4240's was the cause.

They also said all the future inserts will have this coating.

-Joe

Joe,

I may be wrong but I believe they have changed the geometry of the stainless grade. About 2 months ago we got our first Sanvik feed mill for pocketing 316 and they gave us some 3040, 4240, and 2030 inserts. At the time the 3040's were the best. the old 2030's had a flat face and adhesion was killing them but 3 weeks ago they delivered a new 2030 and 2040 to us and they have a positive rake and now out perform the 3040.

I never had the success with 4240's that you've had but this is for a feedmill aplication and we run dry.

Mike

Intersesting maybe they will take back my last pack on 2030 grade and give me some new ones?

Never used 3040 but like I said the 4240's rocked...really

Luck to you!