586,481 active members*
3,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > UK - South (or anywhere in the UK really)

UK - South (or anywhere in the UK really)

Hi - first post - be gentle.

I am a CNC numpty looking for help on making decisions before undertaking a CNC router project for use in my business. I have done investigation and read what I can find but still have unanswered questions.

I am looking to build a 4' by 2' machine for cutting soid wood furniture components. I do not want to buy a commercial machine because I do not have the workshop space for the sizes available or require many of the features that appear to add to the cost of such machines. I am not looking for an ultra budget build but neither are my pockets bottomless. I do not have any real "engineering" facilities but am happy/able to pay to purchase what is needed in that respect.

I have a few thoughts already on the kind of machine I am looking at but am still early enough in teh process to have an open mind.

Is there anybody out there who has built a CNC router and is using it in a reasonably commercial environment, anywhere in the UK but ideally near me in the south. If there is and they are willing to help I am sure that I could be persuaded to buy them a pint or five to help the discussions.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian

Beer always gets my attention Have a look around on here as i'm sure theres something here that will suit your needs :cheers:
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley View Post
    Hi - first post - be gentle.

I am a CNC numpty looking for help on making decisions before undertaking a CNC router project for use in my business. I have done investigation and read what I can find but still have unanswered questions.

I am looking to build a 4' by 2' machine for cutting soid wood furniture components. I do not want to buy a commercial machine because I do not have the workshop space for the sizes available or require many of the features that appear to add to the cost of such machines. I am not looking for an ultra budget build but neither are my pockets bottomless. I do not have any real "engineering" facilities but am happy/able to pay to purchase what is needed in that respect.

I have a few thoughts already on the kind of machine I am looking at but am still early enough in teh process to have an open mind.

Is there anybody out there who has built a CNC router and is using it in a reasonably commercial environment, anywhere in the UK but ideally near me in the south. If there is and they are willing to help I am sure that I could be persuaded to buy them a pint or five to help the discussions.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian
    Perhaps this information may help although a year on you should be well set up by now!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/29/h...achine-part-1/

hi i live in the south west of england. and have purchase a large co2 laser, the promblem i,m having is with the software Coreldraw graphic suite 12. my problem is that when i save my files to ie my pictures, my documents, or any program, from coreldraw, i cant find them when importing to the laser, where am i going wrong, please help if you can, and in laymens terms please

Hi Ian,

I would recommend taking a look at this build log and see what you think. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30751 . It’s an excellent build IMO and would be a good place for you to start and could easily be adjusted to suit your needs.

If that looks a bit rich for your needs you could change some of the components such as the ballscrews for trapezoidal thread and the servo system to a stepper system.

Let us know what you think.

I'm in Essex btw.

John

I am up north - but having recently finished building a machine I have learnt a lot along the way and am willing to help anyone on the forum from which I have learned so much
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk