586,103 active members*
3,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > lost foam casting ??
Page 2 of 2 12
    thank you
    i will be waiting

Quote Originally Posted by max_imum2000 View Post
    i was reading about this process, each time i see that it should be dipped in a ceramic slurry and then dried .

i need to ask what is the ceramic slurry compostion, and how can i make it dry well.

does the final parts require machining ? and what level of machining?

thanks
    I have had good success using sodium silicate (water glass from the potery supplier) mixed with silica flour (also from potery supplier.) This mix is really similar to the commercial slurries they use for building shells, just alot cheaper. Dip it in that and let it dry, repeat acouple of times. Then dip it and sprinkle kitty litter on it to build some thickness. This works good for aluminum, I think it gets soft at highter temps, like for iron, I don't know- haven't tried it... I have also had good results with NO coating. Pack it in dry sand and pour right on top of the styro cup. It burns out everything, including the toothpicks I leave in the joints! The surface detail on this is as fine as the sand you pack it in (usually!)

Quote Originally Posted by wtxrcdog View Post
    Hello
    I just thought I would tell you guys about a cool way to cast with foam and believe it or not masking tape! If you are not worried about the finish tape is a lot quicker than the plaster deal. what it amounts to is what ever the tape looks like on the outside is what you get. you do every thing else the same.
    If you are going to machine your parts anyway this is the way to go. as soon as I remember how to put photos up here I will post some pics of a linear bearing we are making.

Later Bruce
    Yeah- this works well, we use masking tape on our joints to keep sand out (when packing in dry brick sand w/ no coating)

Page 2 of 2 12