586,096 active members*
3,762 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > black face Haas and red box rotary

black face Haas and red box rotary

Hey Guys,

I have a 1994 black face control panel Haas (DC servo) that has the 4th axis board in it and a recently acquired red box 160HRT rotary. The options for turning on the rotary doesn't have the HRT160 but the 7RT which is the closest option. I have not yet plugged in rotary since I am not sure if they are compatible. Both the machine and the rotary are 17 pin. Is it safe to plug in with using the 7RT option? I am figuring yes but do not want to take a chance.

Attachment 266610
    Attachment 266608
    Attachment 266612

Re: black face Haas and red box rotary

I show some differences in parameter setting between a HRT7 and A HRT160. Like ratio steps. Plus might be others.

I'd call Haas Rotary before I plugged it in and had a go. Better safe than sorry.

Also it might depend on your control software version too.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by wms View Post
    I show some differences in parameter setting between a HRT7 and A HRT160. Like ratio steps. Plus might be others.

I'd call Haas Rotary before I plugged it in and had a go. Better safe than sorry.

Also it might depend on your control software version too.
    Agreed!! Most likely the parameters are quite different.

Call Haas factory, give them the S/N of your machine and control software version and also the S/N of your rotary. They will be able to provide you with the answer you need.

Good luck!

Thanks Guys! I contacted my local HFO and they helped me out. The technician said since they didn't have the Red box units when they made my machine so the Red Box would not have worked. I did have to change a couple parameters for the 160HRT to work. The VF1 I have has software version 4.31 and would only work with the Black Box units. The Red Box rotaries work with software versions 5 and 6.

Glad I didn't plug it in and try before asking questions. After I changed a couple parameter everything checks out good and the rotary works!

Thanks again!!