587,040 active members*
2,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > TOOL OFFSET CANCELS BY RESET FANUC OTF (fapt)

TOOL OFFSET CANCELS BY RESET FANUC OTF (fapt)

Hi All,
    All our Fanuc controls are on Lathes-
    We have one machine which cancels the offset just by reset. If it is T0202 and you press reset key, the offset turns T0200 and the machine if one is not careful, will just BANG!
    with the usual consequences. All the fanucs we have do not behave this way. The tool offset will change ONLY by control command ie you have to command another tool or just command T0200!
    I know that there are two parameters.
    Parameter Nr 1 Bit 3 it says 1 means offset is cancelled by offset 0 means offset is not cancelled by offset button.
    Parameter Nr 14 Bit 1 it says 1 means it cancels the tool goemetry offset vector by reset 0 means it is not cancelled by reset...
    I am starting to behave like a zombie.....
    anybody has any idea how to sort this?
    The machine works wonderful and Its a leadwell lathe and once we had an engineer who did it but I can`t get hold of him any more...
    Please help as it is a disaster every time.....
    and whe one happens, I get motivated to TRY to sort it!
    Thanks everybody!

Re: TOOL OFFSET CANCELS BY RESET FANUC OTF (fapt)

you are not supposed to press reset mid-program except to cancel an alarm or error.
    so the behavior is correct.
    it is also better in the long run to have offsets cancel with reset.
    for example, if you call up T0202 to make some manual work/adjustment then forget to type (in MDI ) T0200, then set a new part with new workshift or set a new tool, the tool will be out of location by whatever offset is in T0202 (geometry+wear)
    most people prefer to have reset cancel offsets as a safety measure and as I said you are not supposed to press reset when the machine is running.

if you want to change the reset function so it will not cancel the offsets just change the required parameter(s)

my problem is that the parameters I changed No 1 and No 14 are not changing the tool behavior and maybe there are some others involved.
    I have been working on these machines for years! NO! I do not like it that way! The problem is that you might have an operator who interrupts the
    program with a reset or you need to stop it. Then unless you start reading the Tool again, your machine can start running with no offset! I have some six Fanuc controls and
    this machine is the only one working this way. It is the only machine which runs into collisions....
    you know which parameters?????

proper programming, training, learning correct restart procedure and operator discipline is a better choice.
    program should be written so it can be started from the beginning of any tool.
    starting the program from in the middle without having correct codes in place should never be done.
    in any case, all associated parameters for that are in the parameter manual.
    simply get the pdf and do a search for 'reset'.

To set it so reset doesn't cancel offsets.....
    0001.3 =0
    0014.1 =0

also maybe....
    0388.6 =0
    0045.6 =0

there doesn't appear to be any others related to tool offset/geometry resetting/clearing.

note, if your machine is 0i the parameter numbers are totally different.