586,597 active members*
3,341 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Expert Opinion Needed....

Expert Opinion Needed....

I had a minor crash with my machine today. I was wondering if I should check the tram. What do you think?

Attachment 268178

Just to give an idea how much power the AC servos have, it was only moving 35 IPM, and it just (seemingly in slow motion) pushed the head around, simultaneously ripping the piece of stock out of my 6" vise.

BTW - If you've ever wondered if you can take a 2" wide by 1/2" deep cut with a 5-insert face mill..... The answer is "not so much"....

The good news is, the ATC worked like a charm all day. Everything is now nicely "broken in", and the only, very rare, problems I have are due to known deficiencies with of few of the current parts. I was in the process of making parts for the first pre-production ATC when the crash happened (due to an operator brain-fart). With luck, I'll finish the new transfer drive parts tomorrow.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Re: Expert Opinion Needed....

Very impressed!

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Very impressed!

Brian
    WOT Designs
    Yeah, and it's not like it was at all loose. I haven't had to adjust it in almost two years, the bolts were so tight, I had to use a BIG wrench and a hammer to get them loose. Those servos have some serious power! They never even faulted! Only the spindle stopped.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Yeah, and it's not like it was at all loose. I haven't had to adjust it in almost two years, the bolts were so tight, I had to use a BIG wrench and a hammer to get them loose. Those servos have some serious power! They never even faulted! Only the spindle stopped.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Attachment 268194

Ray, happened too me In July (don't consider this a crash though...lol). Programmed the wrong length of stock. Machine tried going through, full slot 1/2" endmill with at least 1/2" DOC @60 IPM. Spindle bogged, X kept going and eventually snapped the tool and also shifted my Spindle.

I think your machine is now trammed properly, don't touch a thing.

Regards,

Jason

Lol..
    I did the exact same thing with a face mill, just not as bad. I've wondered how much to tighten those 2 bolts.

I'm sorry to see your mishap.......but I'm really happy to know that I'm going to have a hard time breaking it when I screw up.

Can you just leave it that way and use 3D milling??
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

that's what you call a lucky crash lucky you did not f it
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I had a minor crash with my machine today. I was wondering if I should check the tram. What do you think?

Attachment 268178

If you shim the table enough, maybe you could have it at the same angle as the head:cheers:

Jeff

LOL jeffrey001

I agree with SpeedsCustom, I can tell whether a mill is trammed or not by looking at just one photo. That mill is perfect.

that's what you call a lucky crash lucky you did not f it
    I agree.

I bet he wasn't laughing moments after it happened. Those types of crashes always f up more than the the eye can see.

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    I agree.

I bet he wasn't laughing moments after it happened. Those types of crashes always f up more than the the eye can see.
    Nah! I've been cutting parts all day, and the whole afternoon yesterday after it happened. The machine is fine.

One thing I will do at some point - access to the two tramming bolts is very limited, due to a corner in the casting. I had to take a 24mm box wrench, and to some surgery on the box end to grind down the OD, and thin it, so it would fit. Next time I take the sheet metal off the head, I'll remove the bolts, and take a grinder to those areas of the casting to provide enough clearance for a normal wrench. Those two bolts are also Chinese quality. i.e. - rather soft. When I take it apart, I'll put in two good Grade 8 bolts.

I also had to remove the ATC transfer arm drive to get access to the LH bolt, but that was a non-event. Three bolts to remove it, three bolts to put it back, and it went right back to where it was in seconds.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Sounds like a really smart guy designed that ATC transfer arm

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Sounds like a really smart guy designed that ATC transfer arm

Brian
    WOT Designs
    Nope! I did! :-)