586,096 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Blown fuse on PC power supply.

Question Blown fuse on PC power supply.

Hey All,

Just recently installed my latest Breakout board (REV 5.1) with the included Arduino processor on it (Thanks John at Novakon for the adapter kits!). I just configured the ports and pins to get all my axes to move in the right direction and power was cut out after a few minutes of jogging. I originally thought I had swiped the power switch mounted on my wall when I was trying to determine how far my Y-axis can go before hitting the Socket Cap Screw on the dovetails. I was scratching my head for good twenty minutes. I took a volt meter to the newly installed BOB 12vdc output and wasn't registering anything. The hard E-stop would trip Mach3 and I could see it working with the BOB. However, when reset...Power would not be restored to the machine. I finally opened one of the encapsulated fuses running from the 12VDC line on my PC powere supply into the BOB and found a blown fuse.

312 series, .2 amps (200 milliamps) 250 volt.

I was tempted to just plug in one of the many 12 VDC lines (without the inline fuse on the wires) but I opted to wait and find a replacement.

Has anyone experienced blowing the fuse on the 12 VDC PC supply to the BOB and does everyone use a 200milliamp fuse?

Thanks all.

-Jason

Re: Blown fuse on PC power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Hey All,

Just recently installed my latest Breakout board (REV 5.1) with the included Arduino processor on it (Thanks John at Novakon for the adapter kits!). I just configured the ports and pins to get all my axes to move in the right direction and power was cut out after a few minutes of jogging. I originally thought I had swiped the power switch mounted on my wall when I was trying to determine how far my Y-axis can go before hitting the Socket Cap Screw on the dovetails. I was scratching my head for good twenty minutes. I took a volt meter to the newly installed BOB 12vdc output and wasn't registering anything. The hard E-stop would trip Mach3 and I could see it working with the BOB. However, when reset...Power would not be restored to the machine. I finally opened one of the encapsulated fuses running from the 12VDC line on my PC powere supply into the BOB and found a blown fuse.

312 series, .2 amps (200 milliamps) 250 volt.

I was tempted to just plug in one of the many 12 VDC lines (without the inline fuse on the wires) but I opted to wait and find a replacement.

Has anyone experienced blowing the fuse on the 12 VDC PC supply to the BOB and does everyone use a 200milliamp fuse?

Thanks all.

-Jason
    Jason,

I blew the fuse specifically because I was taking voltage measurements and the multimeter probe tip slipped and shorted the line. Pissed me off because I couldn't find if for the longest time. I put in Slow blow fuses and upped it to 500mA. The rail can handle over 10A, so I don't think increasing it slightly would hurt. Mine's been working great since I did that.

Regards,

Nate

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation
    Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Hi Nate,

They blew before I took any readings I just purchased 500milliamp ones as well, before I saw your post!

I built my PC home computer many times (for heavy gaming and design work) so I know that some 12 VDC rails can carry quite a high load (especially for demanding video cards).

I'm going to try and find a fuse for the weekend and I'll wait for the 500 milliamps to arrive and install.

Thanks,

-Jason

Lightbulb Re: Blown fuse on PC power supply.

Some of the earlier BOBs had a power patch cord with inline fuses. When you received the new BOB 5.1 version, the fuses are built in to the PCB so the patch cord fuses can be removed. The fuses on the BOB are rated at 2 amps so you should not have a problem. If you have the patch cord still installed, just remove it and plug the PC power supply cord directly into the BOB.

This should take care of any problems.

Regards,
    Novakon Team

I have been responding to my other thread but thanks again John@Novakon for all the help.

-Jason

I've blown a couple of the 2 amp fuses on the new bob over several months, but for no reason I can find. Doesn't blow while cutting, seems like a current surge on boot up or something.

Which fuses have blown, the 5v or the 12v?

Regards,
    Novakon team

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    Which fuses have blown, the 5v or the 12v?

Regards,
    Novakon team
    Sorry for the delay.. 12 volt.

There shouldn't be anything that can draw that much current normally. Most likely, the excess current is coming from the sensor cables. If the connections to the sensors are wet and possibly shunting 12vdc power to ground, this could cause the blown fuse. Because it seems to be a very random occurrence, something along this seems reasonable. You might try to spray silicone to displace the water and then apply some silicone grease to make them water tight.

The only other thought might be wire chafing but if you use coolant, moisture seems to be a better choice to look at. Inspect the connections and give the silicone a try. This is the simplest thing to try.

Regards,
    Novakon Team