586,114 active members*
3,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bijur Spraymist Woes

Well, I've just about got my spraymist system working but I wanted to give a bit of background on what I've figured out and changed so far...or for advice in the case I'm doing something wrong.

When I bought the system, I knew it didn't work and the guy a bought it from just bought it as well and assumed it had a blocked filter. Well I was considering ditching the whole system all together, but the more I read about setting up a flood system...the less I wanted it (splashing, funky growths etc.) I've talked with a few machinists that suggested that misting is fine and should get in the air if it's done right (I don't know if this is true, or what is right, heavy mist, light mist?) I figure worse case it still works good as an airblower. After my rebuild, the thing really blows (so to speak).

Well, anyway, back to the system not working. I ended up having to take the whole system aparts...I mean the whole system! It had hardened white crusty crap through everything. Every tube was completely filled. It took parts cleaner, drill bits, gasoline and even carb cleaner to open everything back up. Even more strange - the pick-up pipe that goes down into the old coolant appeared to just end with no filter (unlike the part list shows)...hmmm, weird...and it was only about 4 inches long...the tank is about 8 inches...well then when I was dumping the old fluid all these little parts started coming out...plus after I cleaned tube I noticed that the end was not a clean cut but completely disolved. What is in that fluid that would completely disolve all the metal except the case and the screen that used to be part of the coolant pickup? I'm in the process on building a new pick-up now. I was thinking about putting a fuel filter on the end (motorcycle style) but I wasn't sure what I was going to use for coolant yet...more on that later.

The first little tank was also lined with white crusty crap. I'm not sure why because it appears that this tank is just a water trap...anyone know? I could only think that maybe the guy who used it before had a tool-oiler. Well, this filter was completely brown and in desperate need of replacement. Since it was just an air filter I took the old system off completely and replaced it with a small K&N style filter I had laying around...works better and looks cool. The rubber gaskets were completely shot...have you tried to find rubber gaskets lately? Not an easy thing to find. I took a spare mountain bike tube and cut out some new gaskets. That worked good...and should handle 80 PSI no problem.

I also stripped the paint which was part factory and part spray paint...anyway it looks pretty cool now. Just clean cast aluminum. If the rest of my garage wasn't such a train wreck right now I'd post pics.

Anyway...it was rewarding cleaning something that was such a wreck and getting a collant system working without spending any money and I wanted to tell someone (my wife sure didn't want to hear about it). Here's where I need HELP! Can anyone recommend an oil? Something that won't skin-over or seperate. Any other advice or concerns with my handywork?

Kool-Mist 77 is what I use.

I found something that a local machine shop recommended (sorry, don't have the brand). It recommended a 10-20 to 1 mix so I went with 15. My question now is how much "mist" should I expect? I can turn the thing up to full flooding or down to a fine mist (like an air brush). My biggest concern is that I really don't want a fine layer of oil all over my garage. I've considered just air since that does a pretty good job of chip cleanout by itself. Suggestions?

Hi Guys,

I'm going to post in this thread because it's very close to my issue. I have yet to disassemble everything as I had no instructions or manual to look at. I suspect my issue is not quite as bad as this poor chap (Chris64) but I may be close! After reading his original post I think I may want to disassemble everything to have a look "inside" and maybe it will help me do a better cleaning anyway.

I just got my FluidFlex system up and running. It was attached to my Tree Journeyman 200R Mill when I bought it. I had no instructions so it was trial and error. Finally figured out how to get it to come one. The spindle has to be spinning for my mist to come on which is really cool.

Anyway, this thing sat for years. It had coolant in it but was all dried out. What can I use to clean this puppy? I have been running distilled water through it and soaking it for a few days now. I have gotten a LOT of crap out but there is still more in there.

It took a while to clear the fluid line since it's such a small I.D. but I finally got that working as well now. I have been disconnecting that from my nozzle on occasion and just letting it push distilled water through the system to try to clear the junk out.

I have things working reasonably well now but I'm in need of some deeper cleaning. If I let it go this way it will run fine for a while but then suck a chunk into the fluid line and clog things up after a bit. I can't run with that kind of danger looming all of the time.

Is it safe to run alcohol or Dawn dishwashing detergent through this tank? I want something that will break this grease up and get these globs out of the system. Once that's done I can rinse it out and fill with clean fresh water. -Suggestions and advice are most appreciated. :drowning:

If it's the white crusty crap, run some CLR (calcium lime rust remover) through it. Can be purchased at any drug/grocery/hardware store. It's safe to use even in coffee pots. Won't get actual oil/grease out though. Dawn is perfectly safe for oil, and you. We wash our dog with dawn. Kills fleas too

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    If it's the white crusty crap, run some CLR (calcium lime rust remover) through it. Can be purchased at any drug/grocery/hardware store. It's safe to use even in coffee pots.
    I suspect that what you really need to get the white crust out is simply dilute hydrochloric acid.

Sounds scary doesn't it. Okay, rather than make a trip to the store to buy CLR, simply make a trip to the bathroom and pick up your bottle of toilet bowl cleaner. Check the active ingredient list. In most cases, it'll list HCl. That's hydrochloric acid.

Bathroom too far to walk? Hit the kitchen and borrow the bottle of vinegar. It's not HCl, but it does work to dissolve lots of white stuff, especially lime. Use it frequently to clean dishes that have lime scum built up on them. Actually, the toilet bowl cleaner works better, but the ladies tend to get freaky about having a toilet bowl product in the kitchen.

Tom

I have always been generous with the air and stingy with the mist. The air moves the chips away. It doesn't seem to take much mist to cool the tool and surrounding area. The amount of mist will depend upon how heavy a cut you take. Meaner cuts need more mist. I figure if water is beading around the cut it isn't too hot. If it's steamy, increase the mist.

I did not notice the mist in the air when cutting. However, my shop is not in my garage. So if it coated my lathe or mill I did not care.

I use distilled or reverse osmosis water for mixing my cutting mist. Yes, it is a nuisance, but I didn't have any "things" growing in my coolant like I did when I used tap water. The coolant could sit for months without critters. I'm willing to bet the "white crap" comes from letting the coolant tank evaporate. Most coolants, like CoolMist are a surfactant (soap) and some mineral oil. When the water goes, what's left? "white crap". It might also be the salts in hard water.

I don't have white crap I just have lots of sticky gooey orange colored oil. Some has hardened into little chunks that keep flushing out while I try to rinse the unit over the past few days.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should go home and rip the whole thing apart as the original poster in this thread did. It may be good to just inspect things and to see if my filters need to be cleaned or changed.

The question for you guys is which product you would use to cut that gunk and get rid of it. I am leaning towards using Dawn dishwashing detergent. I think I have some acid lying around. Battery acid (Sulfuric Acid) so I can try that...

NO NO NO on the Sulfuric Acid.

Quote Originally Posted by hatch789 View Post
    I think I have some acid lying around. Battery acid (Sulfuric Acid) so I can try that...
    Big Big NO NO NO on the sulfuric acid.

I'd start with the Dawn, wonderful product.

Then I'd try some sort of solvent. I usually have lots of PBBlaster hanging around, so I'd probably try that next. Or Marvel Mystery Oil, or WD-40, or any kind of snake oil product like those two.

OK Well I'm going to disassemble my FluidFlex system today and try to clean everything out. Is there anything I need to be cautious of or aware of while doing this? Tricks for cleaning the filters etc? Tricks for taking off the top mechanism? -Anything like that...

I've never done this before so help here is most appreciated.