586,119 active members*
3,583 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > milling on all sides question

milling on all sides question

Hello I have been teaching my self mastercam 8x for a little while but still really wet behind the ears so please bear with me on this question. I have a solid works file that I downloaded that requires machining on all four sides so the question is do I do one side at a time save it and post it to g code or do I create tool paths for all four side and post it all as one g code file

Thank you

Re: milling on all sides question

Quote Originally Posted by ringanator View Post
    Hello I have been teaching my self mastercam 8x for a little while but still really wet behind the ears so please bear with me on this question. I have a solid works file that I downloaded that requires machining on all four sides so the question is do I do one side at a time save it and post it to g code or do I create tool paths for all four side and post it all as one g code file

Thank you
    The info that you have not supplied is your machine config...is it a 3 axis, 4, or 5 axis
    -- if you have a 3 axis....you have to have a separate program for each setup
    it also depends on the part you need to make, if it is like a dice....you could face the top, contour the sides, place the dots on the TOP face in 1 program
    turn up-side-down face the excess to thickness put the dots for that face in #2 program.....but you would need separate programs for the dots on each of the other faces.

Thank you yes it 3 axis machine stock is aluminum bar stock 4x7x1.5 with different features on each side

So when I finish the tool path for one side save it and get my g code reopen my solid model to start on another side is one of the edges how do I prevent mastercam from trying to machine material that already gone

Have you learned about the WCS workflow?

You can set a new "WCS" to reposition where you x0,y0,z0 is.

Can you please screen shot an isometric view of your part open in Mastercam, that would help us better better understand what you got going on.

so here what I got so far I want to start on the bottem plain as you see I set u xyz and move part to orign now I set up my stock from surface and increased the size of the stock to more manageable size so now I do my tool paths high speed surface and what not lol. so am I on the right path. and when I go to flip it over to do the top do I open it as a new file reset it up and go from there or can I just do a new toolpath on the top ????

I don't entirely know what you're asking but this may help.

First create a dynamic plane where you want your first operation xyz offset to be. This easily organizes what setup, toolpaths, and gcode you want to use.
    Attachment 268214
    Attachment 268216

Create another new "WCS/Plane" which will represent x0y0z0 for operation 2. Also create a new toolpath group which will be the program for that operation.
    Attachment 268218
    Attachment 268220
    Attachment 268222

Create another new "WCS/Plane" which will represent x0y0z0 for operation 3. Also create a new toolpath group which will be the program for that operation.....
    Attachment 268224

Finally when you want to create your code, just select the toolpath group you want, and hit "G1" be sure to hit NO so you only create gcode for that toolpath group.
    Attachment 268226

Thank you so much that's exactly what I was looking for you guys are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by hoffmannm View Post
    I don't entirely know what you're asking but this may help.

First create a dynamic plane where you want your first operation xyz offset to be. This easily organizes what setup, toolpaths, and gcode you want to use.
    Attachment 268214
    Attachment 268216

Create another new "WCS/Plane" which will represent x0y0z0 for operation 2. Also create a new toolpath group which will be the program for that operation.
    Attachment 268218
    Attachment 268220
    Attachment 268222

Create another new "WCS/Plane" which will represent x0y0z0 for operation 3. Also create a new toolpath group which will be the program for that operation.....
    Attachment 268224

Finally when you want to create your code, just select the toolpath group you want, and hit "G1" be sure to hit NO so you only create gcode for that toolpath group.
    Attachment 268226