I've been planning to build a serious vertical CNC mill for a while now. I have a Sieg X2 which is pretty useful but every time I use it I have to deal with the small table, small travel, low rigidity, adjusting gibbs, imprecise z-axis positioning, low power, etc, etc. The new mill is designed to eliminate all of these problems as much as possible. The design considerations are as follows:

• massive bed and column made of epoxy granite to improve rigidity and dampen vibration
  • move on linear guide rails on all axes (20mm or larger, no more gibbs!)
  • driven by ball screws (20mm diameter)
  • and large stepper motors (Nema 34)
  • much larger working envelope (~250 x 500 mm)
  • full size cat 40 vmc spindle (6000rpm)
  • powerful DC spindle motor (3hp)
  • pneumatic actuated draw bar
  • CNC as well as manual operation

Here are some drawings of the design I've come up with.

The z-axis head is not fully designed yet, the spindle motor and pneumatic cylinder are roughly placed!

All brown-ish colored parts will be made of epoxy-granite cement with internal steel reinforcements. Grey-colored components are steel or aluminum.

To give you an idea of the size, the vise sitting on the table is a standard Kurt 6" angle lock.

The base is ~ 250 x 460 x 880 mm with a weight of about 150kg.
The column is ~ 305 x 460 x 1090 mm and weighs also around 150kg
The saddle is ~ 95 x 240 x 820 mm and weighs about 50 kg.
The table is the same size as the travels, that is ~250 x 500 mm and will be made of solid steel.

The exact dimensions of the mill are given by the sizes of the linear rails and ball screws that I happened to have in my "collection"!

I will keep adding more posts as I make progress on the mill.

Any comments, suggestions or questions are welcome!