586,070 active members*
3,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Extrude Cut Pattern to a contoured surface

Extrude Cut Pattern to a contoured surface

So that's what I'm trying to do with the posted file. I would like to extrude cut the honeycomb pattern to within .25" of the outside surface of the "Solid" disk. The bottom of the extrusion needs to follow the contoured surface. Is this possible? Please disregard the .25" offset "Surface" as I was just trying other things.

Forrest

Re: Extrude Cut Pattern to a contoured surface

You have the right idea with the offset surface. The problem is two off the hex shape sketches have doubles stacked on one another. That is the intersecting error you are getting. Also the offset surface has to be in the feature tree before the extrude sketch.
    Under Tools, sketch tool, check sketch for feature, base extrude. You can get the problem errors highlighted. Delete the 8 or so double lines then you can extrude up to the offset surface. I will post the part if you can't work through it. Better for you to work it out if you can.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hollow Disk 2.jpg  

Thanks Mike, what you have shown is basically what I'm attempting only in reverse. I want to "cut" the hex shapes out of the solid top and bottom halves with a .25" offset from the outside surface. I will play around with your suggestions and see if I can get further along.

Forrest

Mike, here is what I was trying to achieve. My next goal is to modify the cell walls to look similar to I-beams with the top surface being wide and the walls thinning as they go towards the center. This will create a dome shape to each cell wall including the bottom of each cell. I know I can go through and do this manually but my end goal is to be able to populate a given size and shape with different patterns automatically. Does that make sense?

Forrest
    Attached Files Attached Files

A regular cut extrude feature does work with what you have. The trick is that you have to select each hexagon contour individually in the "selected contours" box. This gets around the overlapping geometry you have due to the sketch patterns. The other thing you have to do, is to select "offset from surface" as the end condition instead of "blind". Then you can use the outside surface as the end point and set your offset directly instead of having to create a separate offset surface.

C|

You could also add a draft angle to the extrude cuts to get the I-beam effect. Although the thickness of the webs will be related to the distance to the extrusion starting point, so you will get different thicknesses depending on how deep the cells are. This also won't add internal fillets either.

That's a fairly tough problem you have there. Especially if you want it to be somewhat automatic.

C|

Thanks C, I did try the extrude cut to offset surface but had a problem because there are actually 2 different surfaces for each half. There is the main dome and the outer ring. I couldn't select both.

As for the other thing, I think you and I are on the same page just by how you explained adding fillets. Here is a sample of close to what I would like to do with the cell walls and floor. I really need to see if there are provisions in the software to automatically add this feature to all the cells.

Forrest
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just to further this discussion I wouldn't have to put the fillets in the corners because the lollipop tool will leave whatever radius is natural anyway. Eliminating the fillets will probably make it somewhat simpler from a design standpoint.

I just don't know enough about solidworks to know if there are equation driven patterns or some other powerful features capable of populating with the honeycombs and domed surface walls more automatically.

Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest C View Post
    Just to further this discussion I wouldn't have to put the fillets in the corners because the lollipop tool will leave whatever radius is natural anyway. Eliminating the fillets will probably make it somewhat simpler from a design standpoint.

I just don't know enough about solidworks to know if there are equation driven patterns or some other powerful features capable of populating with the honeycombs and domed surface walls more automatically.

Forrest
    Do you have BoBART ?

I see what you are trying to do now with the domed walls. You may get lucky by using the patterning routines, there are several options with those, linear circular, and sketch driven. BUT how are you planning on manufacturing these parts? Unless I'm missing something they cannot be molded or machined. Maybe 3D printed?
    Good Luck
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1948 View Post
    I see what you are trying to do now with the domed walls. You may get lucky by using the patterning routines, there are several options with those, linear circular, and sketch driven. BUT how are you planning on manufacturing these parts? Unless I'm missing something they cannot be molded or machined. Maybe 3D printed?
    Good Luck
    Mike
    Mike, it will have to be undercut with a lollipop bit.

Jr, I do have BA and would assume you may be implying the use of a texture or pattern. I don't really know how to do that and from what I do know am not sure its possible.

Forrest