586,401 active members*
2,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > HELP Wiring the Xylotex controller, Is this correct?

Question HELP Wiring the Xylotex controller, Is this correct?

I need help understanding the connection of a Xylotex XS-3525/8S-1 controller to the Parallel port of the PC.

This is what I think it is saying in the 6 page specs. Please let my know what I am confused about. Which is almost everything, sorry.

9) VCC: RED WIRE -
    CONNECT ALL THREE CONTROLLERS TO VCC NO. 8 IN THE PARALLEL CONNECTOR.

8) STEP: WHITE WIRE –
    CONNECT TO 15, 5, 7 OF THE PARALLEL CONNECTOR

7) DIR: GREEN WIRE –
    CONNECT TO 2,4,6, OF THE PARALLEL CONNECTOR

6) ENA#:
    Is this the Emeregency Stop??

5) HOME#:
    Does this drive the steppers to the HOME location?
    Where is Home?
    Is Home defined by the software.

4) MSO:
    Not needed, selected by Jumpers. Or does some software switch this for various cutting conditions? If it is software controllable which pin of the Parallel Connector would it connect to?

3) MS1:
    Not needed selected by jumpers. Or does some software switch this for various cutting conditions? If it is software controllable which pin of the Parallel Connector would it connect to?

2) SLEEP#:
    Is this the Emeregency Stop??

1) GND: BLACK WIRE –
    CONNECT ALL THREE CONTROLLERS TO GROUND.

Xylotex Pin9) No. You need a seperate 5V DC power supply to power the Xylotex boards. You connect pin 9 of the connector to +5V from the power supply to power the board. The ground from the 5V supply goes to pin 1 of the connector.

Xylotex Pins 7, 8) Although you can use any output pins from the parallel port for step and direction, For a 3 axis system most use parallel pins 2-7 for step and direction. Typically, use pins 2 and 3 for the X axis, 4 and 5 for the Y, and 6 and 7 for the Z axis. Use 2,4, and 6 for either step or direction, and 3,5, and 7 for the other.

Xylotex pin 6, Enable) This either enables or disables the drives. It appears that there is a jumper on the board that overrides this pin. You could use this for an E-stop, but a proper E-stop should also kill power to the drives power supply as well, for safety reasons. I believe that most Xylotex users just use the jumper to leave the drives always enabled. You can also let the control software enable/disable the drives buy connecting this to a parallel port pin.

Xylotex Pin5) This is not for homing the motor, and is no longer available on newer Xylotex boards. Disregard.

Xylotex Pins 3 and 4) Set with the jumpers and ignore these pins.

Xylotex Pin2, sleep) similar to enable, but I believe that when disabled via enable, the motors will still hold position. When disabled using the sleep pin, there will be no power to the motors. Another option that I think has been removed from newer boards, because no one used this feature.

Pin1, ground. See Pin9 at the top.

In another post you asked about back EMF. If you keep you power supply voltage below about 28volts, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Back EMF is when the steppers act like a generator during deceleration and send power back to the drive.

ONe more thing. I see you've posted basically the same question a couple times. Duplicate posts are against forum rules, so, in the future, try to pick the most appropriate forum and ask the wuestion there. Thanks, and I hope this helps a little.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Question

Thanks so much Gerry for responding and answering my questions regarding the connection. I do have one more point to clarify. Regarding Xylotex pin 6, you say "You can also let the control software enable/disable the drives buy connecting this to a parallel port pin." Which pin would that be? Sorry to be so nit picky, I just cannot see connecting it to any pin indiscriminately and having it work.

Sorry for posting twice, I wasn't getting any response from one section so I tried another.
    Hager

Your response:
    "Xylotex pin 6, Enable) This either enables or disables the drives. It appears that there is a jumper on the board that overrides this pin. You could use this for an E-stop, but a proper E-stop should also kill power to the drives power supply as well, for safety reasons. I believe that most Xylotex users just use the jumper to leave the drives always enabled. You can also let the control software enable/disable the drives buy connecting this to a parallel port pin."

The output pins on the parallel port are 1-9,14,16,17. The input pins are 10,11,12,13,15. You can use any of the output pins for the enable signal, or for the step or direction. You just have to configure your CNC software to drive the pins you are using.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
    The output pins on the parallel port are 1-9,14,16,17. The input pins are 10,11,12,13,15. You can use any of the output pins for the enable signal, or for the step or direction. You just have to configure your CNC software to drive the pins you are using.
    Jeff, you made a Major breakthrough for me. It finally clicked, your explination of the relationship of the software to the parallel port and controller was a real breakthrough for me.

This CNC Software you refer to is that like "Mach3"? I am aware that there are different softwares that play different parts in the CNC operation, but don't know the different roles they play. But I think I am getting ahead of my self.

This is the first time I have heard the parallel port pins defined as input and output functions. And that the CNC Software must be configured to direct the signal to the desired pins, which are inturn connected to the controller. It's starting to make sense now.

Now I understand Gerrys statment, "You can also let the control software enable/disable the drives by connecting this to a parallel port pin."

I would evidently set the enable/disable within the software and assign a unused pin to that and be sure that pin is connected to the apporiate connection of the Controller.

How simple it is when you finally have an understanding of how these things function together.

Thanks again Jeff
    Hager