586,052 active members*
4,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Machine Shop/Engineering Communication - A More Effective Method?

Machine Shop/Engineering Communication - A More Effective Method?

Hello Everyone,

We're a small OEM machine builder that specializes in one-off machines for the automotive industry, and we seem to be having an efficiency issue when it comes to communication between our engineering department and machine shop.

Since almost each machine we build is different and the tooling we machine is specific to a part, we do a lot of one time CAM work. Our engineers design the tool and write the CAM program and send it to our machinists to be made. Sometimes we have to take a second, third, or fourth pass to get the part to fit just right (production parts don't always match the CAD data) and this requires our engineers to write a new CAM program and post it to the network each time.

The problem arises when the engineer has to walk all the way out into the shop just to tell the machinist that the CAM program is ready. Time is wasted walking out to the shop and often times people stop to chat. I'm looking for some way to alert our machinists that the CAM program is posted and ready to be machined without requiring the engineer to walk out into the shop. We've discussed walkie talkies, phones, etc, but just can't seem to come up with a good solution.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Machine Shop/Engineering Communication - A More Effective Method?

Can you send the program via network?

Also, I would output Gcode with wear option (with G41 42)

So the machinist could add or substract some numbers to the tool diameter to have the part a bit smaller.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey001 View Post
    Can you send the program via network?

Also, I would output Gcode with wear option (with G41 42)

So the machinist could add or substract some numbers to the tool diameter to have the part a bit smaller.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.

We are currently sending the program through the network, but letting the machinist know that the program is posted to the network is the problem. It takes a while to walk back and forth and I see it as unnecessary and inefficient.

I didn't know about G41/G42 (I'm not a machinist), but I'm gong to have to ask my guys about it!

Thanks

Flashing lights? Buzzers?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

12V 4CH 200M Wireless Remote Control Relay Switch Transceiver 2pcs Receiver | eBay

Maybe something like that, each relay control a light at each machine.

I'm sure more sophisticated device on the market exist but this is just an example.

Jeff

Great idea, Jeff!

I can have separate lights for each machinist, and an alarm to get their attention.

The engineer can alert the shop that a CAM program has been posted, the machinists will see who it is for, and the light will stay on until the proper machinist responds with the second key fob (which will turn off the light and cancel the alarm). This will then tell the engineer that the machinist has acknowledged the alert.

Thanks!

Let me know if you see any issues with this or if you have any other ideas.