586,032 active members*
2,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

New machine semi completed PRO4848

First post! I thought I'd share some completed pictures of my 4x4 setup which I have been chipping away on for the last few months. My shop area is a small corner of my basement and I needed to find creative ways to make the space usable. The platform has two extruded legs bolted to the front which are mounted on wheels, and the rear is set on a pair of lockable sliders on 80/20 track. 90% of the machine can be rolled away in a little crevice under my porch when not in use. Anyway I have been member on this forum for ten years. Thought I'd start contributing.

Attachment 268370 Attachment 268372 Attachment 268374 Attachment 268376 Attachment 268378 Attachment 268380 Attachment 268382

These shots are a bit out of date. I have since printed out a proper (non ziptied) the magnetic dust boot, added some cable chains, and put in the bumpers. Still using a controller box I took borrowed from my old Taig milling machine. Working on putting together the CNCRP electronics kit, wiring in limit switches, and touch plate. Also trying to decide whether to go with a decent router + Super PID, or wire up some 220 and get a proper spindle. More to do.

Re: New machine semi completed PRO4848

Pretty cool little setup you got there. Very good use of space I'm actually just finishing setting up a pro machine at my workshop now. Your Z axis seems longer than mine. Did you have them make you a longer one? Also for some reason your rack and pinion mounting bolt stick out much further than mine do. Just noticing little differences If I can ask you, what kind of rapid speeds are you getting on your Z axis. I'm having a little trouble with mine stalling and was just going to post a thread asking for recommendations.

Chris

The Z in the pictures is the 12" model. I actually ended up swapping it out for the 8" since it was getting too close to my ceiling. Rapids are around 390 ion got all axis I think. Just the default from the clm provided by cncrp. No issues so far on either Z I have had mounted. I am using an older gecko drive and smaller power supply than their kit.

Some updates. I decided to take a chance and buy the cheapest Ebay Spindle and VFD I could find. $300 bucks and a week later it arrived and the pressure was on. I printed up some adjustable limit switch mounts and ran CAT5 around the machine. Also put together a new controller box but had some issue with the G540, so for now the control box is mostly new but using the older G540. Wired up some 220 to the shop and put together the water chiller. The spindle is mounted on a custom dovetail plate that will allow me to use the head from my Taig mill if needed.

Only thing left is to design a new vacuum hise adapter. And figure out what I'm doing for a spoil board and work holding system. Any Recommendations?

Attachment 274906
    Attachment 274908
    Attachment 274910
    Attachment 274912
    Attachment 274920
    Attachment 274914
    Attachment 274916
    Attachment 274918

Attachment 275864

Vacuum adapter and dust boot

We need details on that dust boot!
    I have wanted to make one like that for a long time but never got far.. I'm assuming custom made?
    3d printed? hand made fiberglassed?

anyways.. Very nice boot, and nice machine too.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    We need details on that dust boot!
    I have wanted to make one like that for a long time but never got far.. I'm assuming custom made?
    3d printed? hand made fiberglassed?

anyways.. Very nice boot, and nice machine too.
    Attachment 275992
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	275994

Yes it's 3D printed. I wanted one that was circular around the tool that way any interference I have to keep in mind is always constant no matter the direction of movement. Also I angled the intake so that it point's directly towards the cutter, not sure how much this helps in reality but I thought it looked cool. If I do another one, I'll probably make it cyclonic like a dyson vac with the airflow matching the rotation of the tool. Anyway I'll put up the models sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by infamous_panda View Post
    Attachment 275992

Yes it's 3D printed. I wanted one that was circular around the tool that way any interference I have to keep in mind is always constant no matter the direction of movement. Also I angled the intake so that it point's directly towards the cutter, not sure how much this helps in reality but I thought it looked cool. If I do another one, I'll probably make it cyclonic like a dyson vac with the airflow matching the rotation of the tool. Anyway I'll put up the models sometime soon.
    Very cool, what software did you do the model of the dust boot in?

Quote Originally Posted by talonosi View Post
    Very cool, what software did you do the model of the dust boot in?
    Solidworks. CNCRP was kind enough to provide the native files for their pro kit.

Great looking machine. I really like the tethered estop button. I may incorporate that feature in my pro4848. For holddown systems I use Krieg clamps and slot rails. Works pretty well. I can provide pics if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by infamous_panda View Post
    Attachment 275992

Great build, Infamous_panda!

I am very curious about de design files for the dust boot!
    That is by far the cleanest design i have seen.

Looking forward to the .stl or solidworks files so i finally have a proper use for my friend's my 3d printer.
    That is, of course, if you don't mind people using them for their own setup.

Dust boot and vacuum adapter in the Link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6...ew?usp=sharing

Probably would need to modify depending on the spindle mount, since I have it wrapped pretty close to my setup. Also if I were to print another I'd probably bump up the wall thickness or create a support at the opposite end. You will need some 1/2 inch rare earth magnet discs with countersink holes. For the apron I used some plastic shelf liners I had laying around.

If you end up using this design or some derivative of it. I do ask that you provide credit to Jonas Concepcion at Joncon Creative Works. joncon Thanks.

Thanks! you're a star!

did you print in PLA or ABS? did you compensate for shrinkage or did you just export the file and print it straight away?

I am thinking of using a flexible strip brush as an apron.

I'll show the final product and share the model in case I make any improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by roo-d View Post
    Thanks! you're a star!

did you print in PLA or ABS? did you compensate for shrinkage or did you just export the file and print it straight away?

I am thinking of using a flexible strip brush as an apron.

I'll show the final product and share the model in case I make any improvements.
    Mine is PLA and painted. I don't usually have to account for shrinkage unless I am printing small holes. That reminds me, the holes for the magnets need to be drilled out depending on the type of screw you are using.

I designed the spoilboard so that I can still use the 80/20 cross beams t slots for work holding in addition to the grid of holes

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429037495.534048.jpg 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	276772

Also made a little holster for the z axis touch plate.

Attachment 276768

And we're done with the machine build!! I have a laundry list of improvements and things I'd probably do differently for the next round. Time to make some stuff!

infamous_panda,
    I have some trouble opening the .sldprt files. Solidworks gives an error warning

Can you tell me in which Solidworks version they were created? maybe it was created in 2014 (I have 2013)

Would you be able to save them to Solidworks 2013 version?

I can open the stl file but cannot edit it. It has some rebuid errors and I would like to make some adjustments for our setup before I start printing...

many thanks,
    Roo-D

Hi Rod-D,

Unfortunately I don't know of any way of saving the Solidworks to an older version. This is an issue I have dealt with for years but there is no real solution that I know of. I am currently using 2015. You should be able o open the step file but will not be able to edit the specific features. Sorry.

No worries.

I will see if I can source a copy of SW2015 somewhere.
    I'll keep you posted on the results.

Cut my first project of my design using 3D surfacing operation!

Joncon CNC Router spiral finishing - YouTube

Super happy with this machine.

Attachment 277586

Nice work infamous_panda.

Yesterday we switched on our 3D printer and this is what came out this morning:
    Attachment 277642
    Attachment 277644
    Attachment 277646

Very pleased witht he result.

Today we will try the hood and then test them on our setup.

Page 1 of 2 12