586,117 active members*
3,400 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Need help with hybrid stepper drivers KL-5080H from Automation Technology (Keling)

Need help with hybrid stepper drivers KL-5080H from Automation Technology (Keling)

Calibration Cable | Automation Technology Inc

NEMA 23 Closed Loop Stepper Motor System-Hybrid Servo Kit, 32 bit DSP Based | Automation Technology Inc

Hello all, Sorry if I've posted this into the wrong section (Stepper VS Servo) as these are a weird hybrid of servo and stepper technology. Basically, these are a 3 phase stepper with a very specialized driver and also uses a position encoder on the motor. Physically, the motor is not all that different from your typical NEMA23 stepper with a permanent magnet rotor assembly and a matching stator that just happens to have 3 coils instead of the standard 2 phase stepper most of us are very familiar with.

So to my basic problem. I've read the manual for these and also purchased the programing cable but following all the manuals I can find for the KL-5080H drivers doesn't tell me which version of programing software works with these drivers and what device type or setting to use. (Protune software linked on the cable page).

I program microcontrollers all the time so hacking something is not completely new territory for me (just to explain my background).
    I've tried opening a serial prompt using putty and just to see if I got any response from the driver console port at all using the cable an various baud rates and get nothing from these. The driver was powered at the time, so the obvious basics should be covered here but I got nothing at all from the programming port via either software or just com window. I know I tested a loopback on the com port and so forth so this is just either the cable is not wired, there is a setting for the software I missed, or some other magic information is missing here to allow me to program the driver. I've tried from multiple computers so it's not that either.

The drivers do work fine and I tested motion and so forth but did not yet determine steps/rev setting mode they are in or other info required for me to setup my machine. Sure, I can guess running motion tests but I should be able to know from the driver instructions/datasheet or even be able to change it.

All I really care to program is steps/rev or just view the settings.
    The only reason I ask here in a forum is that to share the answers so that others considering buying these have more information up front.
    It would be good to know if you can change settings or if these are just fixed and that's all you get. As an FYI, the NEMA34 version kit uses DIP switches on the driver to allow for setting microstepping counts. I assumed that since the NEMA34 model had the feature and the 23 series has the programming port and the manual mentions both software and a standalone programmer, that I should be able to modify some basic parameters.

Re: Need help with hybrid stepper drivers KL-5080H from Automation Technology (Keling

Doesn't Keling/AT give you any tech support when you buy their products?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Need help with hybrid stepper drivers KL-5080H from Automation Technology (Keling

I'm sure they do support their products. I've heard very good things and called them in the past.

The problem was it's the weekend, I was looking to see if maybe someone else was running these hybrid drives. From all the searching in this group and online in general, these have been discussed but I didn't really see anyone else using them. Not sure if that was the higher cost factor or lack of understanding by other folks the benefits of these being feedback systems or what.

I'm not in any way trying to say anything bad about these particular sets or the company.
    And yes, I could have just emailed them and said nothing in public but I figured I give it a shot here since I've been told by friends that they do sometimes answer questions in these forums.

At the same time, if it does go with no response or I find out that there is limited support (AKA you cannot program them) for these particular drivers- it's a fair warning to others taking the leap of faith buying them that I did.

So, I did get a call from Automation technology this morning regarding these specific drivers.
    The NEMA 23 version and matching KL-5080H driver is apparently NOT supported for editing.

Not to mince words or understanding, they do and will send your request to the engineer and can work with you on a specific request, but in general user programming was not supported.

That said, there are major differences here. The NEMA34 series set has microswitches and can be set into different microstepping modes, but the NEMA 23 version cannot without special request.
    You cannot adjust any parameters, the NEMA 23 should be considered plug it in and it works.

Based on the fact user programming is currently not supported for the KL-5080H, that may or may not be important to some folks.

I'm not going to tell you it's bad, the drivers work, the system is very cool in that a missed step never happens, the driver will actively attempt to reach that position and if load is decreased it will then move to the target position. So it's mostly everything you ask for in a closed loop stepper.

On one hand, the user cannot mess it up by attempting to tune anything and it just works.
    On the other hand, the user may want to adjust a parameter such as steps per rev and cannot do so without contacting support.

Just FYI, I found a version of protune that will connect and you can edit the nema23 version ....Well actually I had to install 2 versions of it at the same time before it would connect to the unit, but I can read and write all the parameters to them now. I can email you the programs if you still need them.

I bought 4 of the nema 34 closed loop motors from automation tech. I cant seem to get protune to work at all. I can connect to the drive via the programming cable. I can get the edit parameters window open but none of the settings will stay they just revert back
    to zero when i click into another field. anyone know of a different software that can write to these drives? I've emailed automation tech several time in the last few days and haven't got anything back. The drive pdf references a software manual when talking about the rs-232 port. I don't believe that one exists as I have looked everywhere i can think of for it. and also asked auto.tech about it in several emails. no response back.
    very frustrated with them now I've spent 3000$ on parts from automation tech and this is how they treat there customers.

I could sure use the programs if you still have them. i have the nema 34 motors and drivers. I can upload a program to the drives but I cant seem to Modify any parameters thru protune. any help would be much appreciated

send me your email, and i'll send you the programs.

FYI, I had issues getting a hold of John @ automationtechnologies for the longest time. I did get a hold of him and he did get me taken care of...eventually. So hang in there, I'm sure he'll get you taken care of as well....eventually..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    send me your email, and i'll send you the programs.

FYI, I had issues getting a hold of John @ automationtechnologies for the longest time. I did get a hold of him and he did get me taken care of...eventually. So hang in there, I'm sure he'll get you taken care of as well....eventually..lol.
    Good to know.
    I found a newer version of protune v1.3 on cnc4pc.com and that has been a huge help talking to the drives. i can now read and write to them and finally got motion out of the motors today. however the default configuration in the drive shows a 4000 line encoder, but all the documentation indicates that its a 1000 line. The motor will only work properly at 4000 line setting. when i change it to 1000 line the drive errors out immediately. so im curious of how your programs are defined. my email is [email protected] thanks for the help CS900

A 1000 line encoder will give 4000 quadrature counts per revolution. The 1000 counts is multiplied by 4.

Ben

correct, it's a quadrature encoder so it should be set to 4000. Mine are.I'll email you the protune software i have.

Does anyone have the manual for protune? In the driver documentation it references to looking to the software documentation for further explanation.
    Specifically under the section where its explaining the rs232 comm port.