586,416 active members*
3,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking at Mid Grade Routers

I'm just another new guy looking to get some feed back.
    I've been looking at routers for some time now. I even went to the Greensboro and the Atlanta shows. The more I look the more over whelmed I become. I have however, found great information at this site. My application is 3-D carving in hard wood however; I also plan on doing job shop work so I want something very robust and precise.
    Here is what I've been looking at, 60"x120"x12" work area, the extended Z would be for the use of agg tools as well as machining larger work, 10 hp with auto tool changer, AC servo drives (what size), vacuum hold system (this is really a grey area) because I want the option of doing both small and large parts. The software I have been looking at is enroute, master cam art, and art cam.
    Anyway, some of the routers that I had in mind were: DMS/Western CNC D-3, CNT Motion 1000. I had looked at Multicam (something didn't feel right), I also looked at Komo, CR Onsrude, Flexi cam, and Thermwood and a few others that where definitely out of my price range for a starter machine. I've also looked at the low end/entry level machines but they are tinker toys.

Anyway, anybody had any dealings with Western CNC, or CNT or maybe thoughts.
    Thanks for any help..

Try a re-con ...

Contact Liam at Pacer ... they currently have some re-cons due to upgrades after WO6.

0115 988 7777

I only know because we are considering one

Wink Shop Sabre maybe ?

Ti Trouble !

I’m in the same boat.. Looking to get a new CNC for about the same type of work you want to achieve.
    I’ve been making studio furniture for over 8 ys and now want to make the jump to a CNC. Funny, I’ve been looking for about the same specs as you are !!
    MultiCam just to much but I think best Mid Rang option aside…
    Have you had a look at Shop Sabre ? http://www.shopsabre.com/index.htm
    I’m trying to find out more about there CNC as fare as is there anyone out there NOT please with it and why ??
    I ask NOT please, just easier to estimate a machine vs asking what they like about it !!

Take care

I was in the exact same situation for the last 6 months.

I think I did a very thorough search, Mulitcam, Techno, Axyz, Flexicam and a couple of other locally built machines. I was looking for 72" x 144" with 12" of z travel.

I narrowed it down to 3 and finally chose Multicam because the other two could not perform a clean finish on a circular interpolation.

Good luck in your search, we just placed our order yesterday.

Guys it would help if you put your price range here. My mid range and your mid range might be two worlds apart.

Take a look at Ex-Factory and you will find tons of routers, new and used!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I do have a shop sabre and it is a decent machine for the money. I have been doing 3d and 2 d in hard wood and it does very well. I have the 7ft x 12ft table and a 10hp (5hp since I am running single phase220) spindle and it does a good job. If there is something specific you are wondering drop a note and I will answer it for you. We did have a couple of small glitches and tech support did help us to figure it all out. Most of the mistakes were human error just like normal.

Mark