586,100 active members*
3,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chamfer Tools?

What do you guys use to do Chamfers on your Tormach's? Tormach don't offer a TTS one and all the ones I can find in OZ are 20mm shanks, which without work won't fit, and if there isn't a centre hole in both ends that work might not be as easy as it could be.
    Will

I use Mari tool 4-flute carbide chamfer tools in 90 deg angle. I mostly use the 1/4" and 3/8" diameters tools. They are double sided.
    I think folks can get by with any single flute spotting drill depending on material, etc

Quote Originally Posted by wbleeker View Post
    What do you guys use to do Chamfers on your Tormach's? Tormach don't offer a TTS one and all the ones I can find in OZ are 20mm shanks, which without work won't fit, and if there isn't a centre hole in both ends that work might not be as easy as it could be.
    Will

Re: Chamfer Tools?

I have used the 45 degree carbide .125 single flute engraving tools for small holes etc, they work fine but with one flute they are slow.

I also use cobalt spotting drills 45 degree .250 diameter 2 flute at about 20 ipm 5140 rpm, does a nice job.

I would like to try the Maritool, it had 8 flutes that I saw advertised, then I could run the chamfers at much higher ipm and still get a good finish.
    mike sr

My T1 is a 6mm carbide NC spot drill (Sutton), great for hole spotting & for general part deburring (0.2 chamfer) and occasionally up to 2mm chamfers
    - or you might also consider the HSS NC spotdrills ( Ø12 as a standard tool in the magazine )

what about "Nine" tools
    QLD
    These might be more suited to doing a heavier chamfer. but they are also a single flute

- for speed, look to a 4 or 6 flute chamfermill tip like this LINK

I would like to try the 8 flute too. With the 4-flute I still get small vertical mill lines on the chamfer.
    Always on the quest for a mirror finish on my tormach - an elusive goal so far.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have used the 45 degree carbide .125 single flute engraving tools for small holes etc, they work fine but with one flute they are slow.

I also use cobalt spotting drills 45 degree .250 diameter 2 flute at about 20 ipm 5140 rpm, does a nice job.

I would like to try the Maritool, it had 8 flutes that I saw advertised, then I could run the chamfers at much higher ipm and still get a good finish.

I use a 3/8 2 flute carbide chamfer cutter. almost any good tool supplier will have them.

If that doesn't work. you can buy a router bit with a 90 degree point from Lowe's or Home Depot. Just be sure to get carbide.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Just ordered one should have it tomorrow
    [Thanks
    WillQUOTE=Superman;1681184]My T1 is a 6mm carbide NC spot drill (Sutton), great for hole spotting & for general part deburring (0.2 chamfer) and occasionally up to 2mm chamfers
    - or you might also consider the HSS NC spotdrills ( Ø12 as a standard tool in the magazine )

what about "Nine" tools
    QLD
    These might be more suited to doing a heavier chamfer. but they are also a single flute

- for speed, look to a 4 or 6 flute chamfermill tip like this LINK[/QUOTE]

2/56 threads, 3mm threads and small holes / features I use either single flute carbide half round engravers or 1/8 carbide 2 flute mill drill. Normal chamfer in I use DATAFLUTE 1/4 INCH 4 FLUTE 90* CHAMFER tool for AL, steel, delrin, and stainless. I also use 3/8,1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 1" 2 flute hss or carbide mill drills or chamfer Mills. 30ipm is a sweet spot for the 1/4" at 0.01 chamfer. I have a few 8 and 10 flute chamfer Mills but they are 1/2-3/4 diameter which I rarely find useful.

I just purchased and tested a 1" 2 insert 45* chamfer mill that use# the same inserts as the superfly. I bought it to face AND chamfer 2,000 parts on the inaugural run of my new production part. Pretty phenomenal. 4000 rpm, facing at 35ipm and chamfering at 20 for a 0.05" chamfer on O1 tool steel with a gorgeous finish without coolant

Cool
    What brand is the tool that uses the superfly inserts?
    Do you think the tormach has enough hp to use it? How many hp does your haas have?
    Thanks
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    2/56 threads, 3mm threads and small holes / features I use either single flute carbide half round engravers or 1/8 carbide 2 flute mill drill. Normal chamfer in I use DATAFLUTE 1/4 INCH 4 FLUTE 90* CHAMFER tool for AL, steel, delrin, and stainless. I also use 3/8,1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 1" 2 flute hss or carbide mill drills or chamfer Mills. 30ipm is a sweet spot for the 1/4" at 0.01 chamfer. I have a few 8 and 10 flute chamfer Mills but they are 1/2-3/4 diameter which I rarely find useful.

I just purchased and tested a 1" 2 insert 45* chamfer mill that use# the same inserts as the superfly. I bought it to face AND chamfer 2,000 parts on the inaugural run of my new production part. Pretty phenomenal. 4000 rpm, facing at 35ipm and chamfering at 20 for a 0.05" chamfer on O1 tool steel with a gorgeous finish without coolant

I have a 2F 1/4" 45 deg carbide chamfer for general stuff. If I need something different I will use my 120 deg carbide spot drill. Some chainrings I made needed a 10 deg tooth chamfer which I cut and ground a 3/8" drill bit for. Works great on 7075.

Attachment 276080
    Attachment 276082

I just use basic 4 flute carbide chamfer bits. But what I have found that helps, is offsetting the chamfer tool to the side 0.020"-0.060". The very tip of the cutter tends to dull quickly and leave a poor finish. Also if you vary your offset, you end up using more of the cutter. Other then that, play with your feeds and speeds.

Thanks Mike. I have been offsetting my chamfer at .03 so I think it is the feeds and speeds I need to tweak to get s better finish. I am currently running my 4 flute 1/4" carbide 90 degree at 5100 rpm 11 ipm at 1/32" doc and get lots of vertical lines in the finish.
    It doesn't seem to help when I run a .03" finish pass.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC8 View Post
    I just use basic 4 flute carbide chamfer bits. But what I have found that helps, is offsetting the chamfer tool to the side 0.020"-0.060". The very tip of the cutter tends to dull quickly and leave a poor finish. Also if you vary your offset, you end up using more of the cutter. Other then that, play with your feeds and speeds.

I try to use as large a chamfer tool as I can, and use the upper or largest part of the tool for the chamfer, keeps the sfm up.
    mike sr

I will give that a try
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I try to use as large a chamfer tool as I can, and use the upper or largest part of the tool for the chamfer, keeps the sfm up.