586,104 active members*
3,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Question Plasma cam machines

I am looking into purchasing a plasma table. If you could tell me the pros and cons of this machinery. Also wanting to know what products to look further into and which to avoid. And also where maybe to find used ones. Thank you.

Give Torchmate a call or check out thier web site http://torchmate.com/ . The tech support is free and when updated versions of software there is no fee.

As I read and investigate I am finding out that torchmate is a pretty reputable machine. I think I am leaning that way. Plus they dist. close to where I'am located. I want to thank all for your responses.

The good part of a Torchmate is that it uses conventional motor drivers and parallel port PC interface so you could elect to use some other software controller software (eg MACH3) and take advantage of all the built in plasma feature and lower cost THC options. They of course would prefer you buy into their total solution but at least there are options if you later decide you want something else.

Some offerings like the PlasmaCAM and DynaTorch are proprietary and you have to use their motion software/controller. This may not sound like a bad idea but then you find other third party options closed to you. You live with the features as they are or scrap the machine

It's kinda like buying a car that uses custom sized tires, battery, wiper blades, etc and having no place to get replacements but from the factory. When you only have one source you only have one price.

Plasma Cam

I purchased a Plasma Cam 6 months ago, I have not had any problems with tech support. The table is on the light duty side, I have cut 3/4" on many occasions. My biggest problem is the way the torch is held: it is hard to get square and when the table sets the torch height the torch is pushed up in the holder. Also it uses a hand held torch. I have a Hyperthem Powermax 1250 which I am very pleased with and would recommend to anyone.

Matt: How does PlasmaCAM do their torch height control and initial height sensing? What about pierce control and arc sensing?

I guess as long as you are happy with the software and hardware solution that is all that matters. They have sold a boatload of those machines (much like ShopBot has routers) and it shows the power of advertising and marketing.

Hey Torchhead I talked to the guy a Torchmate about a Demo and was totally impressed with it. I have a appointment he asked me some questions about what I wanted to do and with the machine and he worked me up a quote and for about the same price as the Plasma cam I can get the Torchmate table with a Thermal Dynamics Cut master 151 and lead. Since I have to look into a new computer they offer a Dell already configured to the table. I must say impressed. Thanks for your help and info.

Now, tell them you want to run the table with MACH3 and an integrated Torch Height Controller (for MACH3), You don't need their control software (Flashcam with proprietary card) and watch their hair catch on fire!!

Torchhead: You enter the thickness of the material. The machine lowers the torch until it touches the material then moves up to the pierce height the operator specifies, once it starts cutting it uses the arc voltage to adjust the cutting height.

Anyone know anything about EZ-Router Plasma Sys?

Upss!!! I Think That I Have A Problem, I Bought An Old Plasma Table And Not Have Software, The Control Works Only Essi Codes "bad News", And Now I Need A Software, Exist Some Software That Generates These Codes? Can The Mach3 Work?

I Appreciate Your Comments!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bbq View Post
    Anyone know anything about EZ-Router Plasma Sys?
    Yes. They build a rugged table, they have good customer support , they have good internal technical people , they use open components and software (MACH3, Gecko drives,etc) and they use the best Digital THC on
    the market...ours

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

NBE, as you do your home work may I suggest Dynatorch. If your time is worth anything please consider this machine.

Tech support is by far the most valuable part of service
    and having to wait for a call back or email is very frustrating. Dynatorchs tech support is A+++

Please keep us informed of your progress!

Luck,

Tom

Thank you Torchhead, I was going to call them and ask who's THC sys. they are using. I would love to see one in action. I live in the Oklahoma City area.

I have really been corted by DynaCNC but have a concern about the aluminum table. I have my Quote's and I have them at about the same $$$ for the 5x10.
    Is this a flip of the coin time?? on which Sys to get??
    Any feed back would help.

Thank you, PlasmaGuy
    I have looked them over, The unit looks very good but arnt they a closed system?
    Michael

bbq:

Join our support forum on Yahoo at CandCNCSupport. I answer questions about our products and others if I know the answers. You can see how the electronics and THC are supported. Most of the questions are "how to" about plasma. Also there are users on there with experience with the THC and drive electronics that are used on both of the tables you are considering. One has a Practical (groan) table that we totally retrofitted and now runs correctly. He goes by the name "greybeard" and lives in Tulsa. You might contact him.
    Plasma cutting (correctly) is more complex that it first looks.

You are close enough it the EZ-Router shop to pay them a visit. They are about 90 miles from Sherman-Dension area (where I hang out) in East Texas.
    Give them a call and talk to John.

DynaCNC makes a good table. The aluminum extrusions are a lot stronger than you would expect. They have tables in commercial shops cutting 3/4" material on a daily basis. It all depends on the bracing.

As I have stated I prefer a system that has options that go beyond one source. When you get into a proprietary solution like the PlasmaCAM and Dynatorch where you HAVE to use their control software and their electronics and their motors, and you arrive at a point where it won't do what you want, or they decide to start building parts for Humvees (strange things happen in the business world) then it effects your life as well.

Both DynaCNC and EZ-Router use open source systems. You can get replacement parts from dozens of sources and external support.

Support comes in two forms: Short term and long term. Getting a user setup and running correctly is important and counts for a lot. Later down the road, if there is a problem (mechanical, electronic, software) you need to know the company will be there. If you have more than one option then you have more than one source and more than one price.

We are close to release on a new 32 function handheld Pendant/Handwheel that will work with any table running MACH3. We also have a 16 function control pendant (November) that will plug into any of our MP1000 products (including the THC) that will make running you machine off-keyboard a LOT easier.

Why MACH3?

1. 5000+ users
    2. Dedicated development team fixes problems in hours not weeks or months
    3. Very active support forum
    4. Open API for third party add-ons
    5. Integrated toolpath and THC functions make doing the precise sequence easy and adds things like velocity planning to the plasma cut process (Anti-Dive on corners) and auto-pierce delay based on Arc Transfer from the plasma just part of the feature set.
    6. Lower cost structure.
    7. Supported by several CAM programs including SheetCAM, BobCAD, OneCNC VCarve and others.

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Hello BBQ,

Yes, Dynatorch uses a closed system as refered to by Mr. Caudle.

Please don't let the term "closed system" disuade you from buying this platform.

Are you planning on building your system or buying as system that is ready to run?

There are several Dynatorch users on this forum that studied long and hard on whether the open or closed system was right for them. I would suggest you PM them and pick their brains.

Lower cost structure is one thing to consider but what is your time worth spent while figuring out whats wrong with your THC that day?

Okay let me try to state this another way: The choice of a proprietary (closed) system) or non-proprietary (Open) system is not about the chioce of building your own system or one that is ready to run. The open systems from DynaCNC, EZ-Router, K2, and many others are all "ready to run" and they support their own products (some better than others). That is NOT the point. It boils down to deciding if you want to be limited to just one source of parts and support and feel they will be in business as long as you own your machine or if you would like to have the option of
    A: finding someone else that can fix or repair your machine or sell you parts to do that.
    B: Being able to get answers and support at times after 5:00 PM or on the weekends.
    C: having the advantage to change parts of the machine/software that may not be what you want with others, rather than wait for one company with one programmer to fix your problem.

It has less to do with cost than the choices of the table manufacturer. In the case of PlasmaCAM they have their foot on your throat with their software/hardware/controller solution. I use them because they have been doing it longer and have history. The biggest owner gripe is that when something breaks they charge you to tell you what it is, they charge you double for the proprietary part, then they charge you again to support it after you fixed it. You don't own the software license and if you sell the table it will cost the new owner hundreds to get it registered again.

Let's wait until one of those "Smart Motors" takes a dump out of warranty and see how you might feel about the pricing and cost of down time to get another.

The worst time to give advice about marriage is right after the wedding. Give it few years and the perspective may change.....

I would also like a chance to chime in on this subject. What Mr. Caudle is referring to by an open system here is what I like to refer to as the "chinese menu" theory. That is YOU the end user will pick something from column A, then pick somthing from column B, and so on, then you have to make it all work together. There is NO system around where you DONT have to depend on somebody for something. With the open system you are depending on several somebodies for several somethings. Now I will not speak for Plasmacam or any other manufacturer of any closed system, but I will speak for Dynatorch. Yes we are a proprietary system, but we take everything from the chinese menu and make it work for you. You do not have to make it work on your own.Dynatorch released 122 upgrades in 2005. Most of them were customer suggested upgrades that were released within 48 hours upon reciept of the initial suggestion. We supply tech support free of charge for the lifetime of the product. We do that 7 days a week, until 9 p.m. at night. We have doubled our growth every year we have been in buisness, with customers all over the world. We are not going anywhere. The reason we will always be around is that we stay on top of the technology. That brings me to Mach 3. Im sure that this software is good for very many applications , but I dont feel it is all that great for plasma. First of all it is strictly for stepper motors. There is no closed loop servo motor feedback there at all. Dont get me wrong, steppers are good in certain applications, just not plasma cutting. Now back in 1985 when steppers were all we had, we made them work. This is 2006 lots of progress has been made in plasma cutting, so why continue to use steppers? Another thing Ive noticed about Mach 3 is that there is no provision for arc transfer. As an end user, wouldnt you want your cutting software to be able to recognize that your plasma generator has established an arc? Wouldnt you then want your cutting software to know if that arc had failed for whatever reason, so that it could stop your gantry from moving? Seems to me that that type of feature could save an end user alot of time and frustration in trying to pick up where you left off. Sounds like a great feature.....thats why we have it. The Mach 3 software also employs very small visual display screens for plasma cutting. I dont know about you , but make my display screens big. Let me just say this: Read what Mr. Caudle has to say, but remember there are two sides to every coin. Go to www.dynatorch.com and check us out. See the other side of the coin. Then you as the customer decide which side of that coin is the shiny side.
    Thanks
    Greg
    www.dynatorch.com

Thanks for the input guys. I'am looking for a turn-key sys.
    Any thoughts about cutting 22ga SS?
    Thank you,
    Michael

Page 1 of 5 123