586,121 active members*
3,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

50w chinese laser cutter wont even turn on. SOS

Hello I have received my machine it wont turn on at all. emergency stop is up . smalled red switch at 210 v everything is in its position have tried different leads. Am trying to locate the internal fuse. have no external fuse on machine anywhere have checked with a meter there is power behind where the plug goes in and also at the emergency stop. These red switches will not turn on at all so am assuming it is a fuse but dont want to pull apart with know what I am looking for.
    Attachment 269170Attachment 269172Attachment 269174

Re: 50w chinese laser cutter wont even turn on. SOS

Quote Originally Posted by juliewillis View Post
    Hello I have received my machine it wont turn on at all. emergency stop is up . smalled red switch at 210 v everything is in its position have tried different leads. Am trying to locate the internal fuse. have no external fuse on machine anywhere have checked with a meter there is power behind where the plug goes in and also at the emergency stop. These red switches will not turn on at all so am assuming it is a fuse but dont want to pull apart with know what I am looking for.
    Attachment 269170Attachment 269172Attachment 269174
    I'm having the same problem, did you figure out what was wrong with yours of why it wasn't turning on?!

hi guys
    look at your main AC on some machines there are a fuse inside the socket ( see picture)
    greetings
    waltfl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fusedsocket.jpg  

We need to know how much voltage you measured at the estop button and inside the connector. If you are only measuring 110 VAC, then it is likely that you are only measuring half the 230 VAC that is brought into the laser machine. Yes.. That would indicate that the 20mm fuse is blown. If that fuse is OK, then you might have another fuse block inside the machine.

I have also found some laser machines with the power switches wired backward.. 1 was OFF.... 0 was ON... I didn't think the language barrier would really be so bad.. But it had me baffled for a minute.

Greetings. I have owned my 50W laser for nearly a year and have cut plenty of projects with it. Love this thing.

Today, I was cutting some material and the whole machine shut down. I cannot get any power to it at all. Emergency stop, external fuse, and power outlet all check out in good order. Is there a thermal cutout?

Please post a reply if you have a solution to the issue addressed in this thread.

Thank you!
    Jim

As a follow up....

I used a multimeter to try and diagnose where the problem may exist. I found that the emergency shut off didn't have continuity even when reset. There must be a fuse inside it? I temporarily bridged past the emergency stop and my machine is working as it should. I will look to replace the emergency stop switch, but felt if others have a power issue they may find this knowledge useful.

If anyone is aware of a fuse in the switch or a simple way to repair it beyond replacement, please share.

Thank you!
    Jim

EDIT: I found that the switch is a double pole (and one is not used). There is no fuse on these and verified that somehow the spring switch on one of the poles (which is the one that carries the power) was jacked up. I simple moved the wires to the other switch poles and am back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by jsawaya View Post
    As a follow up....

I used a multimeter to try and diagnose where the problem may exist. I found that the emergency shut off didn't have continuity even when reset. There must be a fuse inside it? I temporarily bridged past the emergency stop and my machine is working as it should. I will look to replace the emergency stop switch, but felt if others have a power issue they may find this knowledge useful.

If anyone is aware of a fuse in the switch or a simple way to repair it beyond replacement, please share.

Thank you!
    Jim

EDIT: I found that the switch is a double pole (and one is not used). There is no fuse on these and verified that somehow the spring switch on one of the poles (which is the one that carries the power) was jacked up. I simple moved the wires to the other switch poles and am back in business.
    I just got my laser last week and today in the middle of my job had the same problem. Tried basically everything you said and it seems we both had the same problem.
    Do you mind explaining how to bypass the e-stop?

Thanks!

I'm not at my machine right now, but I recall a red wire running to/from the e-stop. Simply unplug them and connect them together without the switch. Understand, you are "bypassing" the e-stop so it won't be available if you need it. But it should get the machine running again. A replacement switch is cheap on ebay, but there are two poles on this switch. The one that the wires were connected to on mine failed. I just moved the wires to the other set of connectors on the switch and it functions now.

Good luck.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hmwaco View Post
    I just got my laser last week...
    One word of caution... the 50W is the max power. It's actually around a 35W tube. If you run it at 100%, you will kill your tube. It's like a stereo and speaker.... if you set the volume too loud, the output from the speaker becomes distorted if the amplifier is larger than the capacity of the speaker. Over time, the speaker will fail and won't give you good results at any volume. Likewise, don't run your machine any higher than 85% power. (I recommend only 65%.. or 20mA). At that power, you will likely be sending all 35W to the tube and it will actually cut better than 100%. Just some thoughts.

I replace my tube with a true 40W and I have much more power than the "Stated" 50W on these machines.

If the e-stop is not your issue the most common thing to go in the Chinese laser systems is the power supply. You see this on the zone almost every week, someone machine dies and they have to replace the power supply. Best of luck.

Russ