586,069 active members*
3,379 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Alphacam > What do you think of the new interface for 2015.

What do you think of the new interface for 2015.

There is quite a few new things in 2015 like Advanced 5 axis add-in and the new interface. What do you think of the new Ribbon Bar and other changes?

Re: What do you think of the new interface for 2015.

Hate it ! But the updates are always troublesome. It`s like an annual rant about what they do wrong. What about the old adage " If it ain`t broke then don`t mend it " ? Ribbon would be fine if I had a 50" monitor but I haven`t so I`ll default back to the icons. Leave it alone unless you are going to make a change that is of some benefit . A number of updates ago they changed all the icons..... Took a while to get used to it but why change it ?

Did you know you can auto hide the Ribbon and that there are themes that take up less space? But I don't think it is the size of monitor that is the problem, more likely the resolution, software is developed for 1080p monitors nowadays.
    In my humble opinion. If you work with software you can't have the opinion 'if it aint broke don't fix it' because software has to be continuously changing and developing to stay competitive in a fast changing environment. I have seen people left behind that are not willing to embrace change. Like a guy that was determined stick with AutoCAD 2000 because it was 'what he liked'. It caught up with him one day when he got a new Windows 7 PC that wouldn't run old Autocad and he was forced to upgrade in a 12 year leap. Because he hadn't embraced change as it was happening he couldn't handle how different Autocad was and soon got pushed out of the company.
    Alphacam are actually behind the times on this, all other software Office,Excell,Solidworks,Autocad etc did it years ago.
    Now when I occasionally look at the old interface it seems very antiquated. But like you say there is the Legacy option.... for now. I believe Autocad and other software only kept this option for a year or two.

A valid point well made. But as I say to my good lady in such circumstances "Just because you happen to be right doesn`t necessarily mean you are going to win this argument " Then when I`ve recovered from the inevitable slap I make good and try it from another point of view. It`s the learning curve that`s the problem, I dare say I`ll get used to the new interface eventually but then what will I have to moan about !!! In your opinion , do you think there will come a time when all cad/cam will reach a point where perfection has been attained and can literally go no further or will we be on the upgrade hamster wheel into infinity and beyond ?

I think you are doing exactly the right thing by upgrading every year..Lot's of people don't bother and I can totally sympathies with people who feel like they are being dictated to by software companies. I think part of the reason ribbon bars have caught on though is because they are so user friendly for new users, not so helpful maybe for old users ...debatable I guess.. But remember ribbons are customizable and there is also the separate customizable 'quick access toolbar' for putting icons along the top but I always tend to set up loads of keyboard shortcuts so it's not such a great issue for me anyhow.

I don't think perfection will happen because needs and trends are always changing. There are CAM and CAD software that are developing cloud based versions of their software. this means you will be able to operate your powerful software from puny tablets and handheld devices from anywhere in the world and will never actually have a copy of the software on your local hard drive, it will be on a server somewhere on the other side of the world. Maybe software like Alphacam will be %100 cloud based in 10 years and this will no doubt spawn a lot of complaints also. Personly I'm quite excited about the prospect...

Yes it`s a tricky balance to maintain. You can never please everybody because everybody`s needs are different. But there must come a point at which the programme exceeds the needs of the user. My philosophy though , has always been that it`s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. So with that in mind I shall try and get to grips ( Or should that be gripes ) with it. I suspect as I get older I become more of a creature of habit and change becomes uncomfortable. I`ll give it a go when the IT guy loads it up and see how I fare .

Good plan! Maybe you can wangle a brand new 1080p monitor out of them also. Installing 2015 R1 won't mess with your 2014 version(or any other version), so you will have what you are familiar with there for backup.
    Sounds like you've been in the game a while then? What do you make? And yes I agree that the users needs are very varied. Alphacam is used to make all the high end Swiss watches and also in Italy used for sculptural stone work with 7 axis robots but I think most commonly used in the wood working industry.

I`ve been using alphacam for around 15 years. Mostly I create bespoke foam inserts for transit cases, Camera equipment , ground stations , gun sights and the like. Although that`s the bread & butter as it were I also make compression jigs for expanded rigid foam filled thermal stable cases and tooling for vacuum forming both in aluminium and resin all done on a pair of multicam routers. Flat work in ally and Perspex , nylon . Pretty much whatever you can think of to make I`ll give it a whirl. But I do enjoy making tooling. I find that a challenge and very satisfying when it all comes together as a finished piece. How about yourself ?

I've been furniture making and also film set and prop making for about 15 years and in to the CNC and CAM side of things for about 7 of those, mainly 3D machining on a large 5 axis so the new advanced 5 axis option is an exciting prospect for me. I don't think the interface changed for 20 years so it was bound to happen at some point...

You and my Nephew have a lot in common my friend. Although a youngster he does the exact same job and thoroughly enjoys himself. When he`s not cutting himself that is !! Like I say he`s young. When you get tired of bleeding that`s when you start taking care ! ) Have a very merry Christmas and a prosperous new year. Look forward to chatting ( and griping ) in the new year.. Syd.

Indeed. I have a few scars.
    Merry Christmas. I look forward to griping in the new year.

Hi again. Had the I.T guy load up the 2015 alphacam and after a couple of hours I find I actually quite like the new look ( Crikey ! Did I say that !! ) ) After overcoming my built in resistance to change I`ve found that it has been for the most part intelligently thought out and the quick access bar helps with the commonly accessed buttons that are awkward to find. The only thing I perhaps would have added would have been the update toolpaths button on more than one tab. I haven`t worked out how to add to the ribbon menues yet but it`s now on the quick access bar so I`m not too fussed. It`s not the worst update we`ve had but then the old version used did everything I needed too ?

Good to hear you have taken the plunge. I agree. One of the things I first noticed was that all the functions where visible. They are not hidden away in sub menus in illogical places.

There are three ways to tackle your problem of easy access to commonly used buttons.

1. Add the function to the Quick Access Toolbar by right clicking on it and selecting Add To Quick Access Toolbar.

Attachment 265702

2. Add the function to all the tabs so it is always within easy access. Do this by right clicking on an empty are of any tab and selecting Customise Ribbon.

Attachment 265698
    Attachment 265700

3. Create your own new tab or tabs that are organised exactly how you want. Do this through right click Customise Ribbon.

Attachment 265696

Hope it helps!

Hi. thanks for that. Works a treat ) Hope they don`t mess it up in release 2 later on in the year . ) Call me a cynic if you will :O) On the whole though it`s actually rather good. I`ve yet to attempt 3d machining or surface machining as yet but for the basic stuff I`ve not encountered and real problems thus far. There was a function I used a few years back that was pretty handy for splitting a solid model in Z that allowed me to machine part of the whole in manageable sized pieces. I struggled to accomplish this feat on the last couple of versions but found a workaround , which I usually manage. Despite my gripes and grumbles I`ve not come across anything yet that has had me completely stumped . So for that reason alone alphacam does at least deliver the goods )

Well a couple of months in using the new ribbon interface and if I can honestly say that I much prefer the old icons. Even with the quick access tool bar I find that it takes twice as long to click on a menue and then a sub menue to get to where I want to be. There is a real possibility that we may switch to solid cam in the very near future and this new look might be just what sways our decision . I find it very frustrating.

If you have Solidworks it makes sense to go for Solidcam I guess, I believe it runs inside Solidworks. Depends what you want out of a CAM system. Solidcam has a ribbon style interface also though.
    Any way I'm not here to sell the ribbon to you just trying to help out if I can.
    If it is easy access to buttons that bother you have you tried resizing the icons to Small with No Text that way I think you can probably fit all the functions in Alphacam in to one single ribbon and put them in your own custom groups.
    Hope it helps!

We actually have done this - have a look: 2015-03-12_0748 - Lisbeth_B's library

It's a lot more easy to Work with - and sending out the update to customers, they get the lauout, so they have an easy start - and then some modyfy a bit, to suit their own needs

Quote Originally Posted by headscraper View Post
    If you have Solidworks it makes sense to go for Solidcam I guess, I believe it runs inside Solidworks. Depends what you want out of a CAM system. Solidcam has a ribbon style interface also though.
    Any way I'm not here to sell the ribbon to you just trying to help out if I can.
    If it is easy access to buttons that bother you have you tried resizing the icons to Small with No Text that way I think you can probably fit all the functions in Alphacam in to one single ribbon and put them in your own custom groups.
    Hope it helps!

Thanks for the input but Icon size option doesn`t seem to work I`ve tried all options for this and none of it makes any difference to actual size , it seems to be stuck in a default size ?? Another glitch in the programme perhaps along with the create work volume on cad import which doesn`t !! I seem to be getting very despondent . I`ve used alphacam for 13 years now now I feel like a noob !! I do appreciate your input my friend but this is getting too frustrating for words !

Question Re: What do you think of the new interface for 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Routerfiend View Post
    Thanks for the input but Icon size option doesn`t seem to work I`ve tried all options for this and none of it makes any difference to actual size , it seems to be stuck in a default size ?? Another glitch in the programme perhaps along with the create work volume on cad import which doesn`t !! I seem to be getting very despondent . I`ve used alphacam for 13 years now now I feel like a noob !! I do appreciate your input my friend but this is getting too frustrating for words !
    Ok - But then I don't understand why not ask for help, with f.ex the size of Icons???
    - Sure You are on the SMP, when You have the 2015 vers.

Quote Originally Posted by camnerd View Post
    We actually have done this - have a look: 2015-03-12_0748 - Lisbeth_B's library

It's a lot more easy to Work with - and sending out the update to customers, they get the lauout, so they have an easy start - and then some modyfy a bit, to suit their own needs
    Yes that is what I am talking about. I set the ribbon to auto-hide and fill up the quick access bar. This makes it look like the old interface. Then if I need more functions I just show my custom ribbon that has everything else on. In my opinion both the old and new system has limitations but the old one is more limited and less logical.