586,905 active members*
2,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad Cam v24 vs 27, is it worth the extra $$$

BobCad Cam v24 vs 27, is it worth the extra $$$

I am considering buying BobCad Cam. I currently use MasterCam at work and have access to Inventor for modeling. I just completed building a CNC router and have been using cambam but I am looking for something with a little more power and that has a built in simulator.

I will be using the software for programming composite molds and other misc. RC airplane parts. so 2.5D and simple 3D machining.

I am not too concerned with efficiency of the toolpaths, I just want it to work. Is it worth the extra money to get v27? What is new that makes it worth it?

thanks in advance

Tim

Re: BobCad Cam v24 vs 27, is it worth the extra $$$

Take with a grain of salt, as I have only briefly used V27:

I ended up taking a chance in buying because I heard that pricing was negotiable and for the hobbyist, very reasonable pricing can be obtained. I also picked up from numerous people's experience V25 and V26 were significant improvements from what was out there before. I am a former CamBam user myself and I can say that the integrated simulation in BobCAM means I will not ever be going back to CamBam. It's already helped me catch errors that would have meant redoing a part. I would consider the CAM stand-alone though, so don't think you should pay extra for the CAD side. It's a nice to have thing if you got to draw something but I would put my money towards another package for that.

I'm not sure what the price you are getting V24 for is, but I got V27 3 Axis Pro for what I would call a very reasonable price.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Tklus,

The BobCAD CAM product line has achieved many miles stones since the release of V27 here are just a few.

1) Moveable Part Zero & Multiple Setups

In the V24 you do not have a stock wizard and your part zero is based on the drawings UCS. This requires you to move the part to zero, and if you are doing more that one setup requires more than one drawing. For years we did not have a movable origin, but I can say this was a huge step in the right direction when we release a stock wizard in V25 supporting multiple setups.

2) Robust Simulation

In the V24 you have a verify window that offers the simulation of your toolpaths, limited in functionally but effective. With the release of the V25 software we added a much more powerful simulation software that offers many reporting tools to help you better understand how long the job will take to cut, where left over material is and so much more. With the release of V26 we added additional tool types and tool holder support to provide a more realistic simulation of what is happening on the machine.

3) Programming Documentation / Setup Sheet

Recently we added the automatic generation of a setup sheet that documents all the tools and settings you used on a job. In the past users would create a sperate spread skeet for this type of information. Now it's integrated into the software and customizable.

4) Surface Picking Support

In the V24 software for 2D operations it requires wire frame input. So if you are working with surfaces or solids you'll need to extract edges first to be able to machine a pocket or profile. Currently ( V26 or greater ) we support surface picking for 2D operations, allowing you to work directly off solids and surfaces for your 2D operations.

5) Depth support based on users picking

In the V24 all top of part and depths for 2D ops are based on user input. This requires the users to measure geometry to define hole depths, profile depths and pocket depths. In the current versions of BobCAD we provide a user pick top of feature and pick depth option that allows the users to select depths of their part models wire frame , surfaces or solids. This was a huge feature jump from previous versions.

6) Open pocket and high speed pocketing as standard features

In the V24 software if you wanted open pocketing or high speed pocketing is was an add on feature provided by a 3rd parts. In the current versions of software 2D open pockets and high speed pockets come standard with Mill standard.

These are just a few of the miles stones BobCAD has reached over the last few years. IMHO the V27 software features are much closer to the Mastercam software you are familiar with then the V24 software. If you would like to post a sample files, I can create a video showing the machining process in V24 / V27 to give you a better idea of the work flow.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

"I heard that pricing was negotiable" IT IS! Work these people. I have legitimate seats (allowed many instances) on Bobcad. If your an old customer it's even easier. IT'S NEGOTIABLE WITH BOBCAD! Happens twice a year to me.They WILL call you back if they think your interested, to the point of annoying. Years...

edit: I'M SURE!

edit2: Stop calling me!

Are you OK ?

LOL, no i have stress.

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Tklus,

4) Surface Picking Support

In the V24 software for 2D operations it requires wire frame input. So if you are working with surfaces or solids you'll need to extract edges first to be able to machine a pocket or profile. Currently ( V26 or greater ) we support surface picking for 2D operations, allowing you to work directly off solids and surfaces for your 2D operations.

is there any future chance of this being an option to choose boundaries for 3d/2.5d work with solids , or is this already implemented in the newer version ? I'm still with v25
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    is there any future chance of this being an option to choose boundaries for 3d/2.5d work with solids , or is this already implemented in the newer version ? I'm still with v25
    Yes. The newer versions will use pockets and edges without "extracting" them... (CAM side)

I just found out that autodesk fusion 360 is free to use for hobby and start ups as well as students. So far it has exceeded my expectations and its free.

Quote Originally Posted by tklus View Post
    I just found out that autodesk fusion 360 is free to use for hobby and start ups as well as students. So far it has exceeded my expectations and its free.
    Free for up to 3 years, then once you've learned to rely on it you will need a quote for continued use ;-)