586,106 active members*
3,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gantry Weight

My first post & my first cnc build, i'm trying to build a machine based on CRP design, but i'm forcing a couple of problem due to shipping cost and taxes ....for some reasons i can't get the same part like they used and i will use what i can get here in israel. my problem is that my gantry is too much heavy (i plan to use heavy duty extrusion 100x200mm type MA1-9 from KANYA 17kg/m), also i already buy hiwin rails & blocks for all the axis (4x HGW25CC-ZA with 2 rails L=2500mm for X axis, 4x HGH20CA-ZA with 2 rails L=1600mm for Y axis, 4x HGH20CA-ZA with 2 rails L=350mm for Z axis). after gantry weight calculation i realise that it is too much heavy almost 100kg, is that a good or bad thing ?! i will use RACK&PINION system (i already have 3 unit of PRO rack and pinion drive nema 34) which motor should i use if i'm still want the gantry to be moved at 1000ipm or someting like that (stepper motor ) ? is nema 34 960 oz-in enought or i should go for 1290oz-in ?
    thank u all
    ASSADI

Re: Gantry Weight

hello. I'm sorry but I do not know where I need to open the subject. so I wrote here. I would be pleased if the number of bears admin subject to the right place. have you made me want to make a CNC 1200x700x300 processing my request. Where can I find the dimensions of the chassis in DXF format? I want to handle at home hobby MDF and aluminum. please help me.

Sorry, I didn't understand what you want but feel free to post here, anyway no one answered here

Assadi

I do not use steppers but have a few suggestions. You have purchased very nice linear components and are making a serious frame structure. I would suggest with your investment so far servos might be a better fit for your machine. I would say look at something like the dmm tech servo packages. If your doing dual drive for the long axis 400 watt motors would probably work fine. Worst case 750 watt should work.

Ben

Thank you Ben , the problem is that I already have the nema 34 rack driver (more than 500$ with shipping) so if I choose servo I should go to the big frame size (750w - 86mm) and it would cost alot, and if I choose the 400w I still need plantry gear witch cost a lot ... I know that servo would be better but it cost more ... So I'm confused right now ... Any suggestion & ideas ? Again thank you Ben