586,103 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > About to purchase a PRO4894, question about accuracy

About to purchase a PRO4894, question about accuracy

I have been looking at the pro 4896 for quite a while and an wondering what kind of accuracy you are getting. I'm particularly concerned about the long axis, and if the rack allows for error to build up. If I make 2 parallel cuts 92" apart, I don't want them to be 92.25 or 91.75. So what kind of accuracy do you get on your machine?
    Thanks

Re: About to purchase a PRO4894, question about accuracy

I think you'll find that most well made hobby machines, like CNCRouterparts, are accurate to about 0.005". The number you are talking about, 92.25-91.75 would only happen if one of your stepper motors was slipping or something else could be wrong. As long as the machine is properly adjusted, you should see numbers parallel to each other within 0.005". If you want better than that, like .003" or even .002", you're looking at an industrial machine that's $500,000+. They use very accurate Ballscrews. And Don't think they even use Rack and Pinion system. I worked on a machine one year for a job I had, I can't remember the make, but it used all ballscrews and linear rails. It was accurate within 0.003". However, that was a laser.

I think you'll find that other factors will effect accuracy as well, like Cutter Diameter, Bearings or linear rails.
    X²Design&Fabrication
    www.x2df.com

Talonosi,

Falcon69's assessment is pretty on the money -- generally +/- 0.005" is readily achievable on our machines (better in smaller areas), and you can certainly do much better than 1/4" accuracy! Realistically, you're not going to achieve the kind of accuracy that you will get on a vertical machining center or other moving table type system, but many applications don't require this level of accuracy, and for the money I think you'll be hard pressed to find a machine with the combination of accuracy, speed, work area, and support that our kits provide.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

I've been able to get stuff within 0.1mm on small parts with my PRO4896. As long as you put it together right, shouldn't have an issue ! The email support from CRP is top notch.