Hi. I have read a few threads and have come to the conclusion that you folks know their stuff. So, I'll just come out and describe what I want to do and what I need, and if you people have the time, maybe you can steer me in the right direction.

So: I build guitar amps, and I would like to get a laser engraver to run my own faceplates and backplates. As well, I think I came up with a method to prototype circuit boards which I have never seen on any forums, if it works I'll clue everyone in. No, it's not flat black paint. So, I'm looking to get an engraver that has a work area of at least 20"x12", probably around 40W, can run from CorelDraw outlines (I hate it, but most everyone uses it), and I have about a $5k budget. I am not picky about used stuff if it's from a reputable dealer/person, and I'd rather not have to directly ship from China. I figure if I have to pay $700 to have it shipped, there is probably a place on the West Coast that imports them in quantity that can make that profit, and I'll be dealing with the money inside the US (or Canada).

I was originally intrigued by the FS Laser systems, but I've read a LOT of bad reviews on their products, although I have also read a lot of great reviews on their 5th generation machine, so I can't rule them out, but I'd hate to have something that I have to fiddle with more than being able to use. Also, if I have to go up a few $$$, I can probably swing that. As well, I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff, having been a tech most of my life, and I'm not scared of it.

Any suggestions?

rooster.