586,388 active members*
3,255 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > A new approach to generating Gcode for our DIY CNCs!

A new approach to generating Gcode for our DIY CNCs!

For awhile now, I have been playing with Grasshopper as a compliment to Rhino3d. It is a very useful tool for parametric shape generation, but it also is very good at keeping track of large lists of coordinates in 3D space! This means that it can also be very good at producing Gcode for our machines!

The main stumbling block a lot of people have run into when making their DIY CNC is the cost of CAM software. I have never found an inexpensive choice that is very good and, unfortunately, I am asked all the time what I can recommend for CAM software. It is hard to tell someone with a newly built $500 machine that they should consider buying a $2500 piece of software.

Most everyone I know that has used 3D printers and CNC routers much prefers the router based on material choices and because of the size of the work that can be produced. Why then are 3D printers getting all of the attention? I think it is because of the accessibility of the CAM software that drives the machine, not what the machine can do. Sounds obvious, but I think if there was a good, easy to use CAM software out there, this gap could close substantially. Especially since more and more people are converting their machines to an optional function based platform that can do routing and 3d printing.

So what I have done over the past couple months is to come up with Grasshopper functions for most of the paths that I write regularly and that are included with most CAM packages. These functions include 2D Contour, 2D Pocketing, 2D Engraving, Projection Engraving, Parallel Roughing, and Parallel Finishing. In addition, I have a simulator component to preview the path.

I also made up a list of some functions that I wished were part of my CAM package that include Isocurve Machining, Offset Pocketing, Tween Pocketing, Boolean Pocketing, Lithophane, Halftone, and Displacement Map machining. Most of these functions I am not sure if any CAM packages can do (mine can't). I was able to write definitions for all of these with more to come!

I am also working on definitions including drag knife as well as other functions for roughing as this is probably the most difficult operation for me to define in Grasshopper. I am trying to find a way to reliably write a path for multiple surfaces at a time. If you have any suggestions let me know! I am putting this out there for feedback as well as to hopefully help someone out there that hasn't been able to afford a CAM package yet!

Link to large version:
    http://www.grunblau.com/Brian/Assets...ons%20full.jpg

If you are familiar with Rhino, Grasshopper and basic CAM functions, the definitions file should be pretty straight forward. Here are a couple more screenshots....

Attachment 270212 Attachment 270214 Attachment 270216

Attachment 270218 Attachment 270220 Attachment 270222

Attachment 270224 Attachment 270226 Attachment 270228

The current project file is available for download here:

GRUNBLAU 3 Axis G-CODE Generator

This is my first time posting about it. Try it out and let me know what you think! I think there is a lot of potential in this and I hope to have some videos of my machine running some "GHcode" soon!

Best,

Brian

Re: A new approach to generating Gcode for our DIY CNCs!

That looks pretty interesting. I agree that the biggest problem is with the CAM software. Yours looks interesting and I will try it out over the next few days.

I normally use artcam, Meshcam, and sketchUcam (I'm a woodworker and use sketchup for most my models)

I find that sketchUcam works great for flat stock, and has a very simple to use interface. It has a few quirks, but once you get around those it works great.

MeshCam works great for 3d parts it does a nice job of creating tool paths and does a real nice cleanup. Very little learning curve. I've found the detail using the pencil line settings are great. The problem is the paths is generates can take a long time, but the finish is great.

I use artcam for things like pictures etc. I find it the easiest to go from image to 3d. It's not very intuitive, but it works well, the files it produces are a good balance between finish and runtime.

What I'd like is a program that is a balance between sketchUcam and meshcam. Where you can select a few shapes to define pencil line cleanups, but then the rest of the code is generated with a few mouse clicks. Once I define my tools I don't want spend a lot of time.

If you haven't looked at those programs I think it might be something you want to do.

Being a woodworker, pretty much everyone I know uses sketchup, so it would be nice to have a program that can open a sketchup file.

Brian, just to make sure I understand, is this designed as a 'plug-in' or extension of Rhino? If so, one must own Rhino before using this extended capability?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by atwooddon View Post
    Brian, just to make sure I understand, is this designed as a 'plug-in' or extension of Rhino? If so, one must own Rhino before using this extended capability?

Don
    Yes... Though I think I will have to break down soon and get Rhino.

looks nice...

another folks also started to work with grasshopper..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...is-multi-fabri

I thought Grasshopper was an extra cost plugin, but it's included with Rhino for free?

This looks really cool. How about a video showing the workflow?

I just got on board the Fusion 360 train, but if I find that I don't use it much this year, I may get off and try this out.

Rhino's not exactly cheap, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)