3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 12 7891011

Re: MORE HP for PCNC

Deleted...

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I had problems with coolant getting into the lower spindle bearings, I made a slinger for the spindle nose to keep it from splashing directly onto the lower bearing area.
    I've thought about doing something like that, on my 3rd set of lower spindle bearings (in 4 years). Can you share some pics/details?

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    I've thought about doing something like that, on my 3rd set of lower spindle bearings (in 4 years). Can you share some pics/details?
    This is basically what I have done, I am sure there are better designs than this but I had a piece of UHMW on the shelf, so thats what I made it from, seems to work OK. I did bore it about .010 under and pressed it on the spindle nose, I was going to cut an oring grove in the bore but so far it is staying in position so I didnt bother with that.
    Aluminum may be a better choice for material with an oring groove in the bore to friction fit it to the spindle.

Attachment 283852Attachment 283854

I had the spindle stick slightly one day using water based coolant, i figured that some coolant was getting into the lower spindle bearing.

This was just a spur of the moment thing but it seems to work OK.
    mike sr

Picture may describe it a bit better....... and more what I think it should look like..

Attachment 283874

UHMW tends to swell a bit, so I was going to use an oring and a press fit to help it stay positioned on the spindle nose, what I have seems to be working though..
    mike sr

johnh, what's new?

That's a mighty long vacation since your last post way back in June.

Business must be keeping you too busy.

I made a spindle pulley that should get me to 9-10k rpm with stock motor. Why do you need higher HP? Your main casting can't handle more HP really.... If you need more HP, sell the Tormach and get a "real machine"

If you are the "hobby type" just slap on a smaller pulley and go back to work. Smaller pulley can actually .. well lets not get into details, but... your spindle motor will be closer to 60hz, where the motor was designed to run at, not 150hz or whatever insane number Tormach puts it at for 5100rpm. (yes, you will have less belt traction)

The "skew" of the rotor on the Tormach Spindle is.. well "straight", not skewed at all...

That is a pissload of coolant, indeed.

Me likey.

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    to facilitate better chip removal after the HP upgrade the cut will require better flood cooling setup. This is awesome now! when the operation is done from some heavy machining there is not a chip left anywhere on the machine practically, they all get washed down to the chip pan. NICE!
    Had to wire in a separate relay to take the load so as not to fry the relay on the Control board. 1/2hp Shallow well pump, 6 gallon tank. I'll have to stay on top of the swarf removal in the screens so as not to starve the pump, 360gpm vs 12gpm before.

Attachment 283530

in action, need to keep those deep pockets free of chips.This made my previous 1/8 HP pump look like "piss" cooling

Quote Originally Posted by G59 View Post
    johnh, what's new?

That's a mighty long vacation since your last post way back in June.

Business must be keeping you too busy.
    Yes, super busy. The main delay was waiting on Tormach to supply the source code for PathPilot. Now that is in hand my programmer is combing over it to make the changes I need before mounting the new motor head which is finished.

Again, why more HP? because I can. 3 hp would have been a simpler upgrade path physically for the VFD in the cabinet but as the saying goes, "go big or go home"

The new 1/2 hp coolant pump is totally the bomb! wow, it is so nice when the program is done running to open the curtain and see NO CHIPS on the part, vise or table!!!! Better life for my tools and finish on the parts and easier blow off. Highly recommend anyone doing this.

And yes, coolant in the lower spindle bearings is an issue but I had already installed a seal in place of the simple baffle ring they had.

Again why 5hp? MORE TORQUE at high rpm's, that's why. TORQUE is king. Plus I will have the advantage of massive torque at low rpms without having to change pulleys, right now I am going with a 1:1 ratio pulley with a motor of 2750 rpm stock x 2.38 on the VFD.

All "bench" milling is nothing but splinters, I'm doing it.

stay tuned, I hope to have my PP patch in a month to try out on my stock setup, once that is debugged I'll be mounting the new 5hp head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150827_081247.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	290870

Name:	20150827_081235.jpg 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	290872

getting closer, waiting on some data from Sumitomo, will verify install using stock PCNC motor, then the big gun will get installed. Not to tight of a fit. Had to move a couple of things up, no biggie.

Attachment 295410

Attachment 295412

Attachment 295414

Totally bad ass!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, went for the big gun first, making progress. Tormach's 3d model didn't represent the real mill in a critical area, had to make some adjustments.

jh

Attachment 296042

Name:	20151024_120146[1].jpg 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	296046

Attachment 296044

That looks outstanding! I really like your drive pulley set up. There is some serious meat there. Did you use 6061 or 7075 for your frame work?

6061-T651 yep, plenty of meat. 1:1 drive, will still have plenty of torque down low, I mainly mill aluminum.

should be capable of 7200 rpm all day long according to the motor manufacturer. (once I confirm spindle bearing temps)

Still waiting on Sumitomo for the beginning parameters.

Hope to be wiring it up this weekend and giving it a go. I have a bunch of jobs piling up in the que.

jh

Well,
    it's up and running! Took a while to do all the re-wiring, setup etc. I also have a PWD lock out now when the spindle is turning, nice saftey feature.

a couple of progress pic's

red readout is the motor temp at the PTO bearing

pics won't load!

WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO, column tears its self off under to much HP!

https://youtu.be/q5dVihxmE-U

the motor isn't even breathing hard, I've cut my job time in half, this is awesome. The cutters are loving the higher speeds and feeds, when I have time I'll push it to the limit and see what it can do. Right now I'm limited to 6400 rpm until I can sort out some VFD parameters to let the motor run smoothly. When I push it to 7200 the motors basic factor limit it starts to get unstable in rpm.

jh

Is that aluminum? What kind of MRR are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    Well,
    it's up and running! Took a while to do all the re-wiring, setup etc. I also have a PWD lock out now when the spindle is turning, nice saftey feature.

a couple of progress pic's

red readout is the motor temp at the PTO bearing

pics won't load!

WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEO, column tears its self off under to much HP!

https://youtu.be/q5dVihxmE-U

the motor isn't even breathing hard, I've cut my job time in half, this is awesome. The cutters are loving the higher speeds and feeds, when I have time I'll push it to the limit and see what it can do. Right now I'm limited to 6400 rpm until I can sort out some VFD parameters to let the motor run smoothly. When I push it to 7200 the motors basic factor limit it starts to get unstable in rpm.

jh
    I sure am sorry that you had to go off and "RUIN" a Tormach like that....so sad! LOL:banana:. Seriously though that looks marvelous! I was drilling some large holes in some 1" thick boiler plate and all I could think about is I wish I had a little bit more low end on this beast as the load meter was dancing towards the red line. I look forward to seeing what happens when you get the training wheels off and the flag drops!

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Is that aluminum? What kind of MRR are you getting?
    Yes, 6061-T6

when I get some definitive tests done I'll post what I find, but I can tell you it kicks A-- compared to the stock motor. the machine base is not even noticing. But then again I never intend to have a low gear to try and grunt out a bunch of steel.

I still need to wire up the load meter and calibrate it.

I'll have to dust off my 15 year old Mr. Mister so we can see it shoot chips like a Gatling gun on a A-10.

jh

So what is the cut in the video? Tool, RPM, depth, width, RPM and feed?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    So what is the cut in the video? Tool, RPM, depth, width, RPM and feed?

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Pocketing

Attachment 298336

this was using an un-coated Destiny Viper 3FL rougher, 6000 rpm, .315 deep, .15 width, 36 ipm. This equates to about .003 chip load per tooth. No steps lost.

When running this program with the stock PCNC motor with this tool same cut, the most I could push it while being in the low yellow range of the load meter was 14 IPM @ 3750 rpm which was the sweet spot, any higher and the torque fell off real fast.

The cutting tool manufacturer recommends .005 to .007 ipt so I'm not even beginning to push it. I'm doing a paying job right now, a gang of 8 parts per load so I don't want to experiment to much.

In a couple of weeks I should be able to post some real tests.

jh

I love the Destiny end mills these days. When I'm working in Titanium or Stainless their Raptor series is tough to beat! Yes they like to be pushed hard and don't complain...even in a slot. BTW that part looks like a nice MAF sensor housing.

Page 9 of 12 7891011