586,080 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS VF-2 Coolant splashing

Anyone have a problem with the coolant on the haas vf2 splashing and making a mess from the coolant coming out of hte machine and into the coolant pan? my hass has one big tank that has four wheels and rolls around on the floor. it has three chip recovery sections in it and does not hav a through the spindle coolant system installed. this is very messy and the water form the coolant evaporates and the next thing you know you have oil on the floor and all over the base of the mill. i am just curious what others have done to modify their coolant tank or the spout where the coolant goes into the tank.... speedy dry stock is going to go up! [email protected]

I had the same problem on our Tool Room mills with the smaller sump. I had to two fold reason for this, but I had the fab shop at our facility break some perfed metal, .25 holes .125 spacing, to fit over the sump. It keeps chips out, delrin specifically, and breaks up the flow of coolant from the return in the bottom of the pan rather than letting the coolant splash into the bottom of the sump. No more slippery or sticky floor. Don't know the config of the VF2 but perhaps that might give you some ideas. The key to stopping the slight splashes that turn into puddles after a ten hour day was to diffuse it and breaking up the flow.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Hi Guys, first time posting a message. You are not alone with the coolant splashing all over the place. I have a VF2-SS and have the same issues as you. Very annoying and as you mention very messy. I'm looking to have a sheet metal "funnel" made up to fit over the opening in the tank and help eliminate most of the splashing.

Would one of those chip filter trays they sell on ebay (eg;Item number: 170041965187) help to diffuse the splashing?

I soved this problem by solving another at the same time. Problem 1 - too many "fines" getting through into the tank. So I built a frame and a fine filter that sits on top of the coolant tank just under the spout where the coolant cones out of and goes back into the tank. Fitted it with a fine stainless mesh. That does break up the flow and reduce the splashing mostly, but not entirely. So I also put rubber splash shields on the inside towards the machine (not shown in image, they were added later). This has pretty much eliminated the problem. --ch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filter.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN View Post
    Would one of those chip filter trays they sell on ebay (eg;Item number: 170041965187) help to diffuse the splashing?

I purchased one of these "chip traps" on ebay. I get no coolant splash and it also catches small chips, well worth the $50 I spent.

Joe

I have "chip traps" on 2 of my HAAS machines for 2 years now and love it . Replace the filter once a week (~$1 per filter if buy quantity), and your tank will stay clean a long time.Plus no splashing.Just has to figure out the proper height of the palstic tray, so it is easy to pull out .

WITOMCIO, what kind of filter , can you show some photos how do You mounted this ?

I believe he is speaking of: http://www.chiptrap.com/

DEAN,that's the one