586,082 active members*
3,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > starrett,brown and sharpe,mitutoyo....

View Poll Results: What do you use

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starrett

52 26.67%
  • Brown and Sharpe

29 14.87%
  • Mitutoyo

100 51.28%
  • Fowler

2 1.03%
  • Good ole cheapos

12 6.15%
Page 2 of 3 123
    I use Mitutoyo as far as mics, and calipers, but Interapid indicators.

Most of my insturments are Starrett, inherited from my my Dad. I have found of all the manufacturers, it comes down to an individual prefrence.

Most everything I own is Mitutoyo.
    3 axis KC counter and glass scales.It has performed flawlessly for over 9 years.What can I say....if you like it you will look at that brand first when you need something else.If you don't like it....you will avoid it like the plague.

MITUTOYO, STARRETT HELP N00B!!! I'm not a machinist

Hi, my names mike im new to your forum. I'm not a machinist though i would like to be I have alot of auto diesel training. maby someday after I get out of the navy ill go to a good machinist school like S.A.M. or something. in fact thats what im going to do. I don't know how the heck I got here but I was looking for a dial indicator set with stands (preferably a nice used set) and I ended up here. So while im here none of you would happen to know where I could get a set for a reasonable price would you? I know places like Ebay probably have them but im kinda leary of ebay especially lately. any help would be appreciated.

Mitutoyo for Calipers and travel indicators

Starrett for Mics of all types, scales, mag bases, punches, tap handles etc.

Brown & Sharpe for test indicators

Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle View Post
    Hi, my names mike im new to your forum. I'm not a machinist though i would like to be I have alot of auto diesel training. maby someday after I get out of the navy ill go to a good machinist school like S.A.M. or something. in fact thats what im going to do. I don't know how the heck I got here but I was looking for a dial indicator set with stands (preferably a nice used set) and I ended up here. So while im here none of you would happen to know where I could get a set for a reasonable price would you? I know places like Ebay probably have them but im kinda leary of ebay especially lately. any help would be appreciated.
    Manhattan Supply Company. http://www.mscdirect.com

all

I use Starret B&S and Mitutoyo, they are all good
    CNC Set Up Machinist -Twin Turret Turning on Mori-Seiki and Mazak

I use Mitutoyo for digital calipers, They have the best feel of any I've used.

Mitutoyo for digital and dial indicators. Best bang for the buck.

Test indicators: I give all my guys .0001 Mitutoyos for setting up machines. They last about 1 to 2 years and then we throw them out In my box I have 3 .00005 Brown and Sharpes a great value in a 50 millionths indicator. The guy next to me uses Interapids. The best on the market (IMO) and silky smooth. Awful expensive if you drop it though.

Mitutoyo calipers are fantastic IMVVHO.

A joy to use.

Best wishes,

Martin

Mitutoyo runout gauge, calipers, vernier protractor set, micrometer, and combination square

Tesa 0.0005 and 0.0001 DTIs

No digital :]

Machinist apprentice

I found 3 dial test indicators follow the links below

http://www.jlindustrial.com/MD5-1304...D/product.html
    http://www.jlindustrial.com/STC-5069...D/product.html
    http://www.jlindustrial.com/BNS-4489...D/product.html

I don't know which universal dial test indicators above is the best one?

Who is the users the 3 dial test indicators set above please drop me a line .

I am also interesting one of this dial test indicator on the link below, but I really don't know what is the best universal accessories to fit one of this dial indicator ,could any one help me on this matter
    http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlindu...1248&fsid=1248

Your HELP will be appreciated!

Thank you for reading my msg

I think in the future almost all of my measuring tools will be mitutoyo, except for getting a B&S bestest indicator

Thank you so much

I will choose Mitutoyo tooling for my tools box .
    Thank you

Cool

i use mitutoyo 0-1 inch mic, but browne and sharpe depth guages, calipers....browne and sharpe...old school, passed down from DAD, they never let me down....extremely low scrap rate....

Starrett, Moore & Wright, Etalon (THE best), and B&S are all excellent. Mitutoyo is also good however while I have some I try to avoid acquiring more because of their politics

Fowler doesn't belong in the company of those firms. They don't make a thing. Some times they outsource to a quality maker like swiss Girodtast - when they do that the generally put the qualiyt providers name on on the item with theirs.....however lacking some quality toolmaker brand Fowler buys from the same cheapo crap chineese plants that the other cheap crap comes from .

my preference is the American and English firms, although who knows where any particular item actually is made anymore....

I used to be a huge fan of Starrett, until they came out with their "Exact" and "Global" stuff. Made in China, but still priced high because it says Starrett. I don't care whose name is on it, if it's from China it ain't going in MY toolbox

I buy second-hand to get best value, so choice is not so much by brand as by condition and price.

Currently in use are Moore & Wright micrometer, Mitutoyo digital caliper, Etalon vernier caliper.

But pride of place goes to a Trimos "mini" height gauge, which is the most sublime tool to use; nothing mini about it. I had to sit down when I found out the new price.

I have quite a mix. As an example, I've got 6 different 0-1" micrometers. First one I bought (new) in 1977 was a Starrett No.T230RL. Since it doesn't have carbide faces, it's used for measuring carbide end mills. Then a Mitutoyo 101-117 Slim with tenths, carbide and friction thimble I bought new because I needed to preserve the Starrett from wear. It handles nice, great feel. I'd also bought a $12 Chinese one for trash work, but gave it to a newbie who needed some kindness.

Years passed, then I came upon a great deal on a Starrett No.734 digital electronic. Absolutely lovely. Mind you I'd been using the shop's Mitutoyo digital so I know what a good feel and good handling is. The Starrett has a slightly better feel than a Mitutoyo @ the thimble because of it's spring-loaded barrel. Very nice, but the shape isn't so hand-friendly as the Mitutoyos. So the No.734 lives in a Mitutoyo micrometer stand when I use it. The new Starrett No.796 actually handles as nice as a Mitutoyo, I'll try getting one soon.

I added a nearly-unused Mitutoyo 222-125 mechanical digital blade mice (plus regular 1-2" and 2-3") over the summer, and last week a Mitutoyo 111-166 spline micrometer. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good bargain on a disc micrometer, and I like the Mitutoyo for those too because of their larger disc and they read tenths. The Starrett disc mics don't.

My point is that there is no one company that has a lock on good tools. In my box I have Brown & Sharpe, Mitutoyo & Starrett. Each has their good and bad points. Getting a 3-4", 4-5" and 5-6" (all Starrett No.436P) all for $40 total also plays a part in choice.

The only thing I won't buy ever again is cheap offshore, and that now includes Fowler re-labeled crap. I've had my one cheapo lose it's grip on the thimble barrel, throwing calibration way out. Never happened with any of the "big 3".

Those are just the plain, regular mics. Blade mics and the No.734 live in other drawers.

I've got some 8" and 12" Mitutoyo MyCals (I think that's the name), and I use the 8s hundreds of times every day. About 5 years old and still pretty accurate at the tips, and have never hit the ground, believe it or not. The 12s are almost new.

I've got a pair of Chinese Cheapos that I use to check parts that are running on the lathe with out stopping it. Wow, did I just admit that? Not without video. It never happened.

I've had Etalons, Brown and Sharpe, pretty much the same, different face. I didn't like the Starretts that I had about 10 years ago, but maybe they are better now. I've had a few others over the years, but I like the Mitutoyos.

For dial calipers, I was told to get the Mitutoyo Abs digitals. I have a Mitutoyo dial test indicator and a Brown & Sharp Bestest dial finger test indicator that is .0005 I think. Seem to work very well.

Best,

Nelson
    South Bend Heavy 10L, Burke #4, Van Norman #12, South Drill Bend Press
    A home machinist site you might like: www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Page 2 of 3 123