586,103 active members*
3,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

building a lapping machine. Need motor recommendations.

This is a simple project for me. I want to take a rotary table which I have only used 3 times in the 5 years I have owned it and turn it into a lapping machine. It will have a ground plate on top with an adhesive sand paper disc spinning slowly and a fence to keep the parts in place.

The part I am trying to figure out is a motor. I would like it to be about the size of a stepper motor (nema 23) and just plug into the wall and start turning at a slow rpm. I do have extra stepper motors, but I don't know how to make them spin by themselves without some type of mach software. I can follow instructions too, so if someone has a way to make a stepper turn to a specific rpm (that I dont yet know) and is simple to either make, or cheaper to buy, then I am all ears.

Re: building a lapping machine. Need motor recommendations.

Why be tied to a computer or spend for a special standalone stepper driver, just use a small dc motor or gear motor, plenty for cheap at surplus stores.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

exactly my point. I don't want to have it computerized at all. I just want to put a part on it, flip a switch and the motor starts to slowly turn. i can tinker with the speed with gear ratio's, but still I need a motor that is a plug in and go.

Quote Originally Posted by nateman_doo View Post
    exactly my point. I don't want to have it computerized at all. I just want to put a part on it, flip a switch and the motor starts to slowly turn. i can tinker with the speed with gear ratio's, but still I need a motor that is a plug in and go.
    What are you going to lap? If it needs to be precise then a figure 8 motion is probably better than just circular. As far as motor goes an AC motor would be the easiest I would think. There is already a good amount of gear reduction in the table. I would be worried about the AC motor RPM being too high. I think you can use a potentiometer to reduce the RPM but you loose torque, which shouldn't be an issue in your case as long as your motor is not too small.

lapping small copper parts. AC motor is fine, but I don't want a hulking size 56C type motor, more like the size of a nema 23 motor. but AC, DC, I don't care. AC motor that takes 120V plug in the wall would be the easiest. I could use a ceiling fan controller to adjust the speed, but I just need a link to a motor of a hand held size.

Google is your friend

ive been googleing for days, but there SO much info there, I was trying to sort through it all. Thank you. The first 2 of those sound like they would foot the bill nicely.

What about a rear window wiper motor?...even comes complete with reduction and back and forth motion......?

wow, no wonder I couldn't find my thread. I didn't realize it was moved. I figured a benchtop lapping machine would fall under.... well... benchtop machines right? I know its not a mill, but its on a benchtop. But whatever... I digress.

Anywhoo.... I had a moment while staring into the infinite beyond in my basement where my old X2 mill used to live. Then I realized that the X2 sized motor was exactly what I was looking for (or a bit smaller). So I bought a DC motor controller, (KBLC-19) and I am now looking at this particular motor since the X2 ($213) or even the X1 micro mill motor ($157) is too expensive:

0.5kw Air cooled spindle 1Pcs ER11 chuck CNC 500W Spindle Motor + 52mm clamps For DIY CNC 1050456B-in Machine Tool Spindle from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

So the motor control was $35.00, and the motor here is $80 shipped. I didn't pull the trigger yet since I wanted to see if I could find the motor itself without the clamp and ER collet so it would be cheaper, but so far my attempts have been unsuccessful.

Why not use a granite countertop cut off as both the plate and the abrasive(use oil as a lubricant) simply put it on top of a turn table or something. no need to wear out a worm driven rotary table...

I already have the rotary table. It will sit there and collect dust forever. At least I could put it to some use.

i'm thinking you could direct drive the rotary table from 1800 rpm.. is it 60:1 already?

I honestly have no idea what the ratio is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    i'm thinking you could direct drive the rotary table from 1800 rpm.. is it 60:1 already?
    I think it is 90:1. I did 1 turn on the handle it it went about 4°, so that gave me 360 / 4 = 90

which if I am thinking right, a 1500 rpm motor divided by 90 would be turning it at 17rpm. Lapping is a slow process, but at 17rpm's is that too slow?

17 rpm would probably be about right for something 3 foot diameter or larger.

The motor should arrive today. In the meantime I began the physical construction of the other parts:

re: New Machine: Build a Lapping Machine

Motor arrived. 12mm shaft, and the rotary table shaft is as well.

re: New Machine: Build a Lapping Machine

Here is a test setup for the motion:

Page 1 of 2 12