586,655 active members*
3,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > New Mastercam user, help connecting arcs on different Z

New Mastercam user, help connecting arcs on different Z

So I used Bobcad for a while, decided to try mastercam. Trying to redraw something using mastercam only, and can't figure out how to connect these two entities.

On the attachment, the red lines are at 0 on the Z axis. The blue arcs are .325 below 0. the yellow arc is showing what I need, except I need it to go from the line at 0, to the end of the arc at -.325. The green arcs are showing what I want, I was able to get them correct but I can't seem to figure out the other two (the yellow arc and another arc not shown that will be at the other end of the red line).
    I tried adding a line from the end of the red line to the end of the blue arc and using that as my plane but it's not working.
    I'm sure it's something easy that I'm missing here.
    Can anyone shed some light?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture2.PNG  

Re: New Mastercam user, help connecting arcs on different Z

Hmm, so no one knows or am I not explaining it clear enough??

You want a line where the white one is in my attached drawing? If not please attach a drawing with a white line of what you want.

Also make sure you have 2d/3d correctly selected when modeling in mastercam. At the bottom of the window.
    www.machinisttalk.com

No, not a line. I want to move the yellow arc so it ends at the blue arc.
    Again, the red lines are at z0. So the green arc starts at z0 and ends at z-.325. I need to do the same thing with the yellow arc.

Thanks for any help.

OK. Lets see if we can get this worked out for you. It looks like when you look at this geometry in your top view as shown in image 2 it looks like you have geometry on the same Z height. When you skew the image, you notice your geometry is not all at the same Z height as shown in image 1. This is creating your chaining problem. You want to move the yellow arc Z-.325.

I don't know what Version of Mastercam you are using but I'm assuming it's one of the X versions. Look at the top tool bar on your screen. You will see the word "Xform". Put your cursor on it. A drop down box will appear. Click "Translate". A small prompt box may appear stating "Translate. select entities to translate". Select the yellow arc. Then press the "enter" key on your keyboard. This will end your selection. A "Translate" box will appear. Select "Move". In the Delta Z box, click on it and enter -.325. Then click on the check mark. This will close the window and move your arc. Your arc will now appear to be purple in color. That indicates your arc has been moved.

Give it a try. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by frunple View Post
    No, not a line. I want to move the yellow arc so it ends at the blue arc.
    Again, the red lines are at z0. So the green arc starts at z0 and ends at z-.325. I need to do the same thing with the yellow arc.

Thanks for any help.
    My interpretation of your question
    You want the endpoints of the arc to be at different Z levels, and the arc centre also on a different Z level ....The arc is to be a true arc as seen from the TOP view ??

--- not geometrically possible...as any arc ( or circle) is a planar entity ( ALL points lay in the same plane as the centre point )
    any circle that is not "true" to the view is seen as an ellipse....

if you wish to get better wireframe geometry, it may be simpler to extract a curve from a solid model
    - or try even sketching it as a spline ( polyline or partial ellipse for another name )

can you just rotate the yellow arc with the center point being where it intersects the red line?
    www.machinisttalk.com