586,110 active members*
3,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > questions on Power versus Resolution and cutting versus engraving

questions on Power versus Resolution and cutting versus engraving

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I am hoping that you can help me make a couple of informed decisions before purchasing a new machine.

1. I know that the spot size of the laser tube increases with wattage and that a 40 watt tube will engrave better than a 100 watt tube. I know that a 100 watt tube will cut thicker materials cleaner and faster. My first intention of use will be mainly cutting and engraving on 3/4"(19mm) pine but I would like to also engrave on some other materials too. So my first question is how much less is the quality of engraving on a 100 or130 watt machine versus a 40 or 60 watt model? Could a high resolution lens on a 100 or130 watt machine engrave as fine as a standard lens on a 40 or 60 watt model?

2. Power control. Do you have less power control over a 100 to 130 watt machine than you do on a 40 or 60 watt model. Can I turn the power down low enough to engrave anodized aluminum or marble? Would an 80 watt model be a better compromise for engraving? Would 80 watts be enough to cut 3/4" pine or mdf boards in a single pass with good quality cuts?

3. Table size. I'm thinking a 36"x24" would suit my needs but I may go up a notch if a larger platform model would not be anymore difficult to keep aligned, adjusted and squared than a smaller machine. Do larger platforms cause more problems or need more maintenance? I am leaning more towards cutting and engraving wood products and such but I could compromise a little power for better engraving too. Your knowledge and experience would greatly help me find that happy range.

Thank you all so much in advance,

Gozzie

Hello Gozzie, this is Nolan from Thunder Laser. hope my answers can solve your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Gozzie View Post
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I am hoping that you can help me make a couple of informed decisions before purchasing a new machine.

1. I know that the spot size of the laser tube increases with wattage and that a 40 watt tube will engrave better than a 100 watt tube. I know that a 100 watt tube will cut thicker materials cleaner and faster. My first intention of use will be mainly cutting and engraving on 3/4"(19mm) pine but I would like to also engrave on some other materials too. So my first question is how much less is the quality of engraving on a 100 or130 watt machine versus a 40 or 60 watt model? Could a high resolution lens on a 100 or130 watt machine engrave as fine as a standard lens on a 40 or 60 watt model?

no, the spot size of laser tube doesn't increase with wattage(but if it is inferior laser tube, it will). and "40 watt tube will engrave better than a 100 watt tube" is wrong. according to our testing, less than 150 watt laser tube, the diameter of focus laser spot should be almost 0.099mm, if the quality of your laser tube is good, you can get a good engraving result no matter how power laser tube you use, it is why Epilog, Universal these famous brand also can use large power tube to get a good engraving result. (but why many people said small power can get a better result? if the quality of laser tube is not good, small laser tube really has small laser beam and speed of laser is low, so the engraving result is better than large power laser tube)
    and you need to cut 19mm pine, you should choose 130 watt laser tube.
    about the high resolution lens(HR head), I think you don't know what it is. I understand what you mean, you want a large power laser tube and HR head, then you can get a good engraving result when you use the HR head, right? but you are wrong. if only need to engrave letters or simple picutres, no matter HR head or normal head, the result is almost the same. HR head is suitable for intricate, tight-tolerance engraving and for direct marking on some metals.
    more details, please visit our website and download the documents.
    Laser heads for application - Thunderlaser

2. Power control. Do you have less power control over a 100 to 130 watt machine than you do on a 40 or 60 watt model. Can I turn the power down low enough to engrave anodized aluminum or marble? Would an 80 watt model be a better compromise for engraving? Would 80 watts be enough to cut 3/4" pine or mdf boards in a single pass with good quality cuts?

usually, we will suggest our customers use less than 80% power of laser tube, if you always use the laser tube in 100% power, it will over very soon. but if you use RF laser tube, you can run it in 100% power, because its quality is really very good.

3. Table size. I'm thinking a 36"x24" would suit my needs but I may go up a notch if a larger platform model would not be anymore difficult to keep aligned, adjusted and squared than a smaller machine. Do larger platforms cause more problems or need more maintenance? I am leaning more towards cutting and engraving wood products and such but I could compromise a little power for better engraving too. Your knowledge and experience would greatly help me find that happy range.

about the table size, depends on what you want. on the contrary, small platforms cause more problems, because the space of small machine is small, it's not easy to repair when there is something wrong with it.

hope my answers can help you. or you can contact with me through email.

Thank you all so much in advance,

Gozzie

my email is [email protected] welcome to contact me.