586,062 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Drawing in BobCad

Drawing in BobCad

OK new to BobCad but not new to Cad itself. I've been using Autocad for a several years now and know what I'm doing in there. Now when it comes to Bobcad I have no idea whats going on there. I've used other cad programs and they all seam to minic AutoCad really good so they are not hard to use. I'm just wondering if I'm doing somthing wrong or is it relly that hard to draw a 2d desgin in BobCad.

Thanks
    Todd

Actually it is very easy once you get the hang of it. What are you trying to draw and what version of BCC do you have?

Here are two other sites where you can get help with BobCAD as well

This is Sorin's Forum (BCC's official Trainer)
    http://cadcamtrainer.com/forums/index.php

And this is BCC's Official Support Forum
    http://216.117.147.20/bobcadsupport/forums/

Both have a wealth of information as well as Talented Members that would be glad to assist you.

:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

When I first got Bobcad V19, my experience was the same. Even though I was proficient with Acad and Solidworks, BobCad was very non-intuative. If fact it remined me of a 3D CAD program used in the early 1980's - very archaic and required an unbelievably large amount of clicks to get anything done. It appears that V21 and the upcoming V22 may be better. I hope so, since BobCad produces good G-code, but I avoid it's CAD tools.

Smile this is normal

I did have the same expierience with Bobcadcam. I am using TurboCad from IMSIDesign to do the Cadstuff. The 2 work together nicely.

Ok I have attached a image of what I'm trying to draw with BobCad. It's nothing special just a quick part for learning BobCad. Now with a FREE CAD program called ProgeCAD LT I have no problem creating this part. I'm I missing something in BobCad?

Thanks for your help.

Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails part101.jpg  

Toby
    I'm a member of both of those forums.

Todd

Todd,

Try the 'Line Continuous' function. Place the beginning of the line series at 0,0,0 and then just use the incremental option to create a rough contour. You can then follow up using the 'Fillet' command to create the radii on the outside of the part.

To do the inside contours, create Circles at the positions needed. Then use 'Line Tangent' to join the two smaller circles that make the obround cut out.

To finish just use the 'Break Many' function located under the 'Change' menu to break everything at the intersections. Clean up the extra lines by deleting them and you should be off.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Price View Post
    Ok I have attached a image of what I'm trying to draw with BobCad. It's nothing special just a quick part for learning BobCad. Now with a FREE CAD program called ProgeCAD LT I have no problem creating this part. I'm I missing something in BobCad?

Thanks for your help.

Todd
    Todd I still use the older V17 but I drew this in 7 minutes and that includes having to toggle back and forth between two screens to get the dimensions.

I don't know if what I did would be pertinent to the version you are trying to learn, but I though you might like to know that using Bobcad is possible, and once you learn the software, it can be fairly quick.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Thanks for your help.

Todd
    Done in V21 in 5 minutes. Start with a rectangle 7" by 4.5 with .5R fillets and go from there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Well I have access to V21 so that's what I'm learning on. Thats how I first started the part out with a rectangle but I was trying to do the autocad way. Is this the best way to creat projects within Bobcad? Just want to know so that I'm moving in the right direction.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Todd I still use the older V17 but I drew this in 7 minutes and that includes having to toggle back and forth between two screens to get the dimensions.

I don't know if what I did would be pertinent to the version you are trying to learn, but I though you might like to know that using Bobcad is possible, and once you learn the software, it can be fairly quick.

Mike
    Mike
    Now did you start out with this? Did you do the rectangle way or the line way?

It sounds like you could use a look at Sorin's videos. He will walk through this in just a few minutes. Goto www.cadcamtrainer.com/forums/index.php and sign up. You will recieve an email with the login and password to access the video files from his sight.

I have access to Sorin's site. So far from what I've looked at, there's nothing really there for us newbie's. It's pretty much advanced stuff. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it one day.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    It sounds like you could use a look at Sorin's videos. He will walk through this in just a few minutes. Goto www.cadcamtrainer.com/forums/index.php and sign up. You will recieve an email with the login and password to access the video files from his sight.

Hi Todd, try this, I think is the easiest way to do it.
    First make coordinate center on x,y=o R1.25, click continue and then go x=2.5, x=5, x=7 with their radius. Then make a point coordinate on y=1.25 and y=1.75, join them, and the point at y=1.75 translated by increment x=0.5 on the change tab. then just make the arc the by snaping. make a line tangent on that arc of 1.00, make a point at the end of that line and translated by increment to x=1.00, snap the arc and the rest is triming and tangen. then just mirror the part on x in the change tab and good to go. this took me about 4 minutes or less

Regards, Andres.

Mike
    Now did you start out with this? Did you do the rectangle way or the line way?
    Todd I started using the lone method. I sketched a line and set it to x o.oo then offset that line using line parallel by 2.5", repeated and then did the last one by 2". I then put a point in the middle of each of the two end lines and connected those with a line. All the intersections gave me the centers for all the radi that falls on the centerline. I then use arc point center to create circles of the given radius for each position. I could have selected the beginning and end degrees but I was in a hurry and used this method instead. I then trimmed the right side radius to the last right end line at 90 and 270 degrees. I copied the centerline to the 90 degree end of the radius and trimmed it to the second line from the left. This gave me the length for the upper part. I put the smaller radius at the left end of that line put the short section of line at the upped end of that radius then filleted that line with the far left end line with the .5" rad. I selected the upper half and mirrored using the centerline. Finally I trimmed the far left circle and end line to complete it.

You know it's funny. Typing all this takes me longer than to actually do the part.

I hope this helps.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

The rectangle feature is the fastest but drawing a continuos line and coming back afterwards with fillets would be easy as well.

Sorin does have a video on how to make rectangle. (the one called Keyhole-part draw steps you through a drawing)

There are a few videos on Sorin's download page that are really basic beginner stuff while others do get more advanced.

If you need something specific just ask Sorin and he can help.

Quote Originally Posted by cad-cam_master View Post
    Hi Todd, try this, I think is the easiest way to do it.
    First make coordinate center on x,y=o R1.25, click continue and then go x=2.5, x=5, x=7 with their radius. Then make a point coordinate on y=1.25 and y=1.75, join them, and the point at y=1.75 translated by increment x=0.5 on the change tab. then just make the arc the by snaping. make a line tangent on that arc of 1.00, make a point at the end of that line and translated by increment to x=1.00, snap the arc and the rest is triming and tangen. then just mirror the part on x in the change tab and good to go. this took me about 4 minutes or less

Regards, Andres.

This is mostly the way I did it. I like to do 1/2 then mirror copy rotate.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com