586,700 active members*
3,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > D1-4 spindle adapter, are they available?

D1-4 spindle adapter, are they available?

I am looking in to some new Lathe chucks for my G9729, I would like to get a new 6" 3 jaw, 6" 4 jaw independent and 6" 4 jaw self centering all with 2 piece jaws. Would like to be able to make soft jaws for them and swap them out quickly with good repeatability. Being somewhat new to lathes, I see many D1-4 chucks available But not spindle nose adapters to use a D1 type Lathe chuck. So my question is if they make them and in just not looking for the right "name" or if they aren't out there.

I have searched quite a bit and found a few diy's of people making them but not any products so I figured it was time to ask the experts.

So, to any who know please enlighten me on the subject!

Thanks all!

Chris

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Re: D1-4 spindle adapter, are they available?

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    I am looking in to some new Lathe chucks for my G9729, I would like to get a new 6" 3 jaw, 6" 4 jaw independent and 6" 4 jaw self centering all with 2 piece jaws. Would like to be able to make soft jaws for them and swap them out quickly with good repeatability. Being somewhat new to lathes, I see many D1-4 chucks available But not spindle nose adapters to use a D1 type Lathe chuck. So my question is if they make them and in just not looking for the right "name" or if they aren't out there.

I have searched quite a bit and found a few diy's of people making them but not any products so I figured it was time to ask the experts.

So, to any who know please enlighten me on the subject!
    When you use/buy a chuck with the D1 series configuration, which come in many different sizes, this fits direct to the machine spindle, there is not usually an adapter plate for them, you can get standard adapter plates that are the D1 series that will fit to any chuck, when you buy a lathe your spindle adaptation can come in many different configurations, better quality lathes will have this standard

A D1 type is the an Industry standard, that has been in use it seems like for ever here is a PDF on spindle nose spec's

Cam-lock is one of the most used for the D series mount
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spindlenoses.pdf  
    Mactec54

Correct.. What I am trying to discern is if it is possible to find a d1 nose spindle adapter so I can use d1 chucks.. Currently my spindle uses a bolt on chuck with 3 studs and nuts to hold the chuck in place.. swapping chicks would be a pain in the rear and I am trying to speed that process up.

lcvette

As I said,there is not usually an adapter plate for them,like what you want, if you can find one, it will be a complete spindle, your best bet is to make the part you need,to suit your spindle mounting, they are normally hardened & ground, you can buy the cam lock parts
    Mactec54

I may see of i can find a spindle... Might be the best option here