586,094 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Using the passive touch probe/ setup/ work offsets

Using the passive touch probe/ setup/ work offsets

Anyone who has been using path pilot and the passive probe. I need some help getting it working and setting work offsets. I can seem to get the probe setup correct using the on screen instructions but I can't set any work offsets. They all seem to stay where my initial probe is set up.

Can someone walk me through this.

Re: Using the passive touch probe/ setup/ work offsets

I've been setting up my PP today. Every thing went well until I was setting up my passive probe. When I take the collet out of the spindle and set the spindle nose down to the top of the vise with a .025 feeler gauge in between. Then when I put the probe in the spindle and set tool to 99, tell PP to set probe length. Here is where the problem starts. When I probe to the top of the vise all goes well until I go to z.5 and slide a gauge block between the vise and probe tip. I have a .025 gap. When I go to the tool table PP says that the probe is 6+ inches long. when I measure the probe with a height gauge it triggers at 4.148"

Dave

Have a look at the PathPilot Beta bug tracker - I think your trouble is there (#811).

PathPilot? BETA Software Center | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

I guess there will be an update before too long.

Yes I see that it has been reported. Hope they do an update for the beta testers soon. I'm not holding my breath with a possable April release date.

Dave

I wish the bug tracker would allow us to click into the issue for more detail though.

Hopefully they will also show fixed issues between releases so people don't resubmit the same bug because they don't see it on the list.

bob

I pounded code for about 35 years, in the last ten there was procedure for tracking bugs.
    1) the 'tester' would report the bug with a to-the-point-as,possible, brief description.
    Steps to reproduce - in our case any gcode that produced the bug, etc.
    A screen shot if needed.
    A the bug 'state' could be set to 'bug', or 'feature request', 'duplicate' ( with a reference ), or 'future'.
    2) the developer would fix the bug and resubmit it changing the state to 'fixed pending review'.
    3) the tester would retest the bug and change to state either back to 'resolved', 'bug' or 'future'.
    4) If not fixed the developer would rework the bug and change the state to 'fixed pending review'.
    ..and so on.
    This way you could get some data on the bugs as they moved through the process, and get some metrics on the stability of the product.

did you take the update to 1.5, it mostly fixed this, still some probe issues that they are working on though...

Yes I did and as you say the probe is working correctly. I have not seen any problems. what are the issues that you know of.

Dave

errors while probing x or y while in a hole, seem to be due to how close you are to center and how fast the feed is set, very touchy. I think they resolved in 1.6 but i have not tried it yet.